Help please on reading Economy 7 meter

Level 1
    Hi.

Is 1 a day or night reading ?
    Eon have said its night then said no ors day.

I can't check usage as I don't know the economy 7 times and the daytime. usage is so low it barely changes.
  • 3 Replies

Level 92
    @DenFen

There is no 'standard' as to whether or not 1 is Day or Night.

The only way to check is to do something energy intensive, like boil a kettle, and see which of the registers changes.

Your economy 7 hours will depend on the MPAN of your meter.

Your MPAN , or S number, will be shown on your bill and look something like this:

Name:  download.png
Views: 13
Size:  6.2 KB

Your first two digits on the top line will give you the type of meter, usually 02 for a two-rate meter. The next three digits are your time pattern. This in conjunction with the first two digits on the bottom line (Regional Code) will determine your Economy 7 hours.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 1
    @retrotecchie. Thanks for that.
    Yep..done tests. Fractional use of boiling kettle makes no difference to meter read as it doesn't go to 1 or 2 decimal points.

I have been liaising with Eon ..but they aren't much help.
    Level 46
    Hi @DenFen,

Do you have a smart meter?

Meters usually display the current rate ie 1 or 2, so a simple check is whatever is displayed between 9am and 9pm is the Day rate. If a meter displays both rates at the same time then only one will change during those hours, and even the lowest user should see a 1 kWh change over a 12 hour period.

To get the exact hours raise a complaint, e.onnext are billing you on two rates and they should tell you exactly when those two rates apply. They usually try to fob you off by just telling you to look at your meter, hence the need to complain. I had to go through this with nPower, I was asked what county I was in and when I said Warwickshire, she had no idea where that was, so it can often be a battle!

When you do get the exact hours just remember that they are for GMT. So my hours are 00h30 to 07h30, so as we are currently on BST my night rate ends at 08h30. Why they can't display the hours on the bill is beyond me, the cynic in me thinks that they avoid telling the customer in the hope that they'll use more electricity on the higher rate.