Economy 7 not switching on storage heater

Level 5
    Hello all,

I've turned on my storage heater for the winter, but it's not working. There are two switches next to the heater, one for 'storage' and one for 'fan', both are in the on position. Normally, the neon indicator light on the 'storage' switch only comes on at night when the E7 kicks in. However (having stayed up until 3:00am) the neon indicator does not come on and the heater does not 'charge'. I have checked the fuses and everything is OK there. This is leading me to believe that the smart meter/contactor, which provides current to the heater, is not working properly in some way.

Any suggestions as to how I could check this (without getting up in the middle of the night with a multi-meter)?

By the way, I did call e-on, they were very helpful and did their best to help, but ultimately could only suggest that I get the heater checked. However, before I do that I want to check it's getting current when it's supposed to!
  • 2 Replies

Level 91
    Hello all,

I've turned on my storage heater for the winter, but it's not working. There are two switches next to the heater, one for 'storage' and one for 'fan', both are in the on position. Normally, the neon indicator light on the 'storage' switch only comes on at night when the E7 kicks in. However (having stayed up until 3:00am) the neon indicator does not come on and the heater does not 'charge'. I have checked the fuses and everything is OK there. This is leading me to believe that the smart meter/contactor, which provides current to the heater, is not working properly in some way.

Any suggestions as to how I could check this (without getting up in the middle of the night with a multi-meter)?

By the way, I did call e-on, they were very helpful and did their best to help, but ultimately could only suggest that I get the heater checked. However, before I do that I want to check it's getting current when it's supposed to!

One for @retrotecchie methinks. A photo of the fuse boxes might help - use the 3rd icon from right above - looks like a mountain with stars!
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 79
    Another quick fix... But did anyone reconfigure ECAUL/ALCS on the meter itself via SMETS Command yet? Just in case...
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!