Eon electric readings don't match my actual meter

Level 32
    @geoffers

I know what the pipedream is of people in authority, but I very much doubt that the UK population will take to TOU tariffs in great numbers anytime soon, if ever.

Its the difference between theory and practice. The whole smart meter project is years behind schedule, costing a lot more than originally predicted, and while you are clearly enthusiastic for TOU tariffs, I'm guessing that for the vast majority of the population their introduction matters not one iota.
    Just because there are a majority of luddites in the world who don't/can't accept change, doesn't mean that progress should be put on hold

I have a several friends who have now moved onto TOU tariffs to take advantage of cheaper electricity now they have EVs

Level 91
    @geoffers

I fully accept people are free to make their own choices. Whether one views all technological progress as good or not depends on many factors. Just because something is technically possible it doesn't make it necessarily advantageous to us as individuals. I was just speaking to an Arsenal supporter who said that the ticket for the weekend's match hadn't downloaded to the phone wallet yet, and at every game there are lots of people queuing to see stewards to gain entry. It used to be simple.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @geoffers

You'd still pull the full dataset from the meter, including the half hourly data, but you only need the two data points.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 32
    @geoffers

You'd still pull the full dataset from the meter, including the half hourly data, but you only need the two data points.
    Sorry to keep pressing the point... but you haven't explained how you get the 2 data values (which you refer to as two data points) from a single Total Active Import vale

Are you assuming that meters have two separate Active import registers - mine certainly doesn't.

So for Next Drive you're still having to use the ½hrly data to calculate the TOU, adding up 14*½ hrs (7hrs) of kWh usage to get 1 total (data point) for the cheap rate electricity and 34*½hr (17hrs) to get the 2nd total (data point) for the daytime rate... Which is what must actually happen now 🥴
    Last edited by geoffers; 2 Hours Ago at 17:43.
    Level 92
    @geoffers

The meter stores half hourly data. That is what is downloaded.

Say your E7 or Drive had off peak hours between midnight and 7am. If the meter is polled daily, then you'd only need the midnight value to determine the consumption up to midnight (on peak). When you get the 7am value, subtracting one from the other would give you the total consumption for the 7 hour period - which is all you need for billing purposes. Likewise, between 7am and midnight, you only need the start and end readings. All the other half-hourly values are utterly irrelevant. UNLESS you have a true ToU agile tariff like Octopus where the price of a unit literally changes half hourly.

Level 32
    @geoffers

The meter stores half hourly data. That is what is downloaded.

Say your E7 or Drive had off peak hours between midnight and 7am. If the meter is polled daily, then you'd only need the midnight value to determine the consumption up to midnight (on peak). When you get the 7am value, subtracting one from the other would give you the total consumption for the 7 hour period - which is all you need for billing purposes. Likewise, between 7am and midnight, you only need the start and end readings. All the other half-hourly values are utterly irrelevant. UNLESS you have a true ToU agile tariff like Octopus where the price of a unit literally changes half hourly.
    Where do you get the 7am value from? The meter is not an E7 meter so only has a single Active Import register, so you suggesting polling the meter twice (at midnight and at 7am)?

The half hourly value is the incremental amount of usage for each half hour (as per 5.6.4.28 of the SMETS2 spec) and not the total-import snapshot read at that point in time.

So why not just do what they do now and add up the 14 incremental values between midnight and 7am and the 34 between 7am and midnight?

Computers don't find those sort of calculations onerous or difficult🤣
    Last edited by geoffers; 34 Minutes Ago at 19:44.