Eon electric readings don't match my actual meter

Level 92
    @geoffers

Not uncommon with those old L&G beasts. They also record solar export as import!! I'm pretty sure the problem has come up before with Next Drive and those L&G meters.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 5
    @geoffers Thanks Geoffers I will give it a try when I get chance, if not that would be amazing thank you so much.
    Level 32
    @geoffers Thanks Geoffers I will give it a try when I get chance, if not that would be amazing thank you so much.

No problem 👍 - though it does look like we've identified the problem as the meter recording double the kW usage per half hour period in the TOU registers, so applying the tariff would just show the corresponding costs being double.
    Level 91
    @geoffers. To be clear, the meter is apparently recording correctly, data is being relayed to Eon Next, and they are charging the customer nearly twice the actual consumption, perhaps by treating the total consumption and the rate 1 consumption as night and day consumption.

the meter is not recording double the actual usage - I feel sorry for the meter being slandered in a most inappropriate manner.😂😇
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 32
    @geoffers. To be clear, the meter is apparently recording correctly, data is being relayed to Eon Next, and they are charging the customer nearly twice the actual consumption, perhaps by treating the total consumption and the rate 1 consumption as night and day consumption.

the meter is not recording double the actual usage....
    I don't know how you have come to that conclusion 🧐 It may be recording the overall total kWh correctly, but not the individual ½ hourly TOU registers

If you look at the data being recorded by the meter when the charger is running at 7kW
    Name:  Screenshot_2024-10-04-10-50-35-78_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  32.0 KB
    In each of the ½ hour periods being recorded by the meter it should therefore show ~3.5kWh but as you can see if you look at the readings posted by @CharlotteEv it is showing 7.083kWh; 7.07kWh etc etc, which in my book is recording double the actual usage.

These are the readings which the TOU tariff is applied to, to calculate the bill
    Last edited by geoffers; 6 Hours Ago at 10:07.
    Level 91
    @geoffers

Agreed but that data is not direct from the meter is it. Its after the data has been through the DCC . The meter is recording the consumption again Total import register correctly. What happens to the data after its left the meter is what we don't understand.
    Level 91
    If we go back to the original post we can see that @CharlotteEv was being charged approximately double actual consumption over an extended period. Whether that's due to the total register being charged twice or the total and rate 1 register being charged together is what isn't clear to me. But I don't see the meter as being at fault.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

SMETS1 meters do not correctly record half-hourly data. When these meters were originally 'supplier; specific' and half hourly data was required there was an additional layer of calculation which was performed on the data by each supplier. Now that all the data flows through the DCC, it is their responsibility to massage the numbers into the correct format for processing by the supplier.

Each meter manufacturer provided it's own API for each supplier to be able to work with the data correctly. The problem lies entirely with the DCC, not the supplier or the meter itself.

From the government (BEIS):

It seems that SMETS1 meters record half hourly data as kW per half hour (not per hour) and therefore pre-DCC migration the SMETS1 SMSO was re-calculating this. It sounds like post DCC migration this recalculation step was lost and hence the issue you’re seeing.’

The issue was impacting many SMETS1 meters built by different manufacturers. As Octopus is the only supplier that uses 30 minute data for billing, their t-o-u tariff customers were the ones most affected.

SMSO:

Smart meters need a smart back-end system, which is why Secure has developed the Smart Metering Operator Services (SMSO) system. This system controls all aspects of meter operation, and is the interface between your business systems and your meters, using industry-standard web-service APIs.
    We also realise that the day-to-day management of smart meters should not be a burden on your business, so we offer a wide range of services to help you get started in smart metering. These range from a full, web-based, smart metering management system through to consultancy services to help you integrate your business system with our SMSO system. For us, partnerships come first and this is about working together.’
    On meter adoption, I believe that the DCC takes over this function.

The reference to Octopus was from a few years ago when they were the only supplier offering ToU tariffs. Now that they are more common across a range of suppliers the issue is becoming more prevalent. It seems that DCC have not properly integrated the SMSO architecture into their systems.

Another reason they are simply not fit for purpose.

Half hourly readings are only necessary for two reasons.

1. Flexible ToU tariffs where the rate changes on half-hourly intervals. I think Octopus Agile is the only system that uses this data explicitly.
    2. To allow recording of data into a spreadsheet or graph for statistical puropses.

All that is needed for E7 or Next Drive is to take the readings at the point the rate changes. That is to say, at the end of the peak period, take a single total kWh reading. Take another reading at the end of the off-peak rate. It's as simple as that and does not need to be any more complicated than that!
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 5 Hours Ago at 10:48.
    Level 32
    @geoffers

Agreed but that data is not direct from the meter is it. Its after the data has been through the DCC . The meter is recording the consumption again Total import register correctly. What happens to the data after its left the meter is what we don't understand.
    Yeah - but if Eon are using the ½hr TOU registers for the billing the Total Import is irrelevant

How do you think EOn get the data from the meter? Via the DCC

Have you got a smart meter?
    Have you got the EV tariff?
    Have you written an XL macro to calculate your costs based on your half hour readings?

I guess not: but I have and this is how it seems to work for me, so I'm speaking from experience 😎
    Last edited by geoffers; 5 Hours Ago at 11:01.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

If the meter sends a reading on the half hour and hour a simple calculation will identify the half hourly increment from the previous reading. If Eon Next implement a Tariff that depend on half hourly readings, then they should make sure the customer's meter is capable of supplying the required data in the correct format. They specify apparently that a smart meter is required, but do not go further. I doubt very much that this is the only case, but thankfully EVs are not that common and it seems that an EV tariff working from a Smets1 meter is required for this situation to happen.

But I don't see that the meter is to blame if it was not designed or intended to supply the data now required.