T3 external aerial install by DCC

Level 1
    Hi,
    Just seeing if anyone has successfully persuaded Eon Next to escalate a T3 external aerial install with DCC to get smart meter comms working?

I have a SKU2+Celluar+mesh comms unit with an internal T2 aerial. I have proven that, using an extension on the comms cable, that same T2 aerial will pick up WAN and MESH (observed the 1in5 flashes on the SKU2 comms unit) by having the aerial external to the building and elevated to the first floor.

I've enquired with DCC who say they will fit a T3 aerial if instructed to by Eon Next.

I've escalated it with Eon Next customer services to say what is required, and await a reply by tomorrow.

We let everybody know how i get on.

The increase in night rate by 25% is my primary driver, if i cannot get comms i cannot move onto the nextdrive EV tarriff and my usage is 1:3 day/night.

Cheers all
  • 4 Replies

Level 79
    Hiya!

T3 Aerials are usually only installed if commissioning using ALL other options has failed and DCC considers it viable to do so. You need to see whether Mesh options might be viable first.

Mesh connections don't use the external aerial either - they're internal to the Comms Hub.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    2 Engineer visits confirm no other option but external aerial. Anyone had this done with Eon Next??
    Speaking to the Morrisons Utility Engineer subcontractor, he said they haven't done any T3 installs.
    Level 1
    After chasing for an update, i've apparently hit a dead end. Eon Next customer services have no published process (certainly to my call handler) for escalating smart meter comms issues to DCC for possible T3 installs. Not sure if i am being palmed off. Have requested escalation details and been given the hi@ and generic customer services phone number. This is after 1hr plus already on the phone....

As per DCC website FAQ's
    https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/contact-us-energy-consumers/

"I need a T3 aerial installed T3 aerials are installed where the Communications Service Provider (CSP) indicates one is needed. There are industry-established processes for your energy supplier to resolve this on your behalf."

So @eon next, where is the industry establish process you should be following in cases like this?

I have an email from DCC customer services stating they do the T3 installs if Eon Next pass the case over.

Anyone from Eon smart meter team in these forums who has any knowledge on this?
    Level 92
    I have a SKU2+Celluar+mesh comms unit with an internal T2 aerial. I have proven that, using an extension on the comms cable, that same T2 aerial will pick up WAN and MESH (observed the 1in5 flashes on the SKU2 comms unit) by having the aerial external to the building and elevated to the first floor.

If you made a DIY solution work, then you might be better off with that than trying to get any sense out of E.On Next.

The lights flashing indicates that the meter is at least seeing signal, but you;d still need to see if the meters are showing up on the smart network.

I'd be tempted to re-rig your test setup, wait a day or two and then see if the meter is visible on the Citizens Advice smart checker.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.