EON Next Smart Meter working success rate

Community Team

Did you know... 🤔

E.ON Next has a 93.7% success rate for meters working in smart mode. That puts us among the best suppliers in the UK!! 🏆

Ofgem released some information on this via their website - here is the link from Ofgem - Ofgem Announcement

I know as part of the Community we often here more about the smart meters that are not working but it's a great peace of mind to know that a large percentage are working as they should!

Why does this matter?

Well, smart meters aren't just about hitting installation targets, they're about helping people save money 💰 and reduce emissions 🌍

Our dedicated Smart Health Teams have been working hard to make sure every meter we install actually delivers those benefits.

We'd love to know about your smart journey! Especially the ones that have gone well! To help others that maybe on the fence with having smart! Even if you did have issues and got them fixed it would be great to share!
    Last edited by Anasa_EONNext; 13 Hours Ago at 09:09.
    Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over
    here!
    📣
  • 5 Replies

Level 91
    @Lee_EONNext

i’m not sure whether this data squares up with that released by DENZ recently, but the source of the information in both cases must be the energy companies themselves. So why can’t Eon Next release even more information, particularly on how long meters have not been operating correctly.

and while 93.7% is good in comparison to other suppliers, few would regard it as good if related to broadband or mobile services.

in the manner of school reports, could do better might be appropriate.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    Well, smart meters aren't just about hitting installation targets, they're about helping people save money 💰 and reduce emissions 🌍

Please explain both those statements (and show your workings!)

Please give a definitive way they 'help save money'. If anything, the failed rollout of smart metering over the last decade has cost us all money. The increase in standing charges, the £4.2 billion that the DCC has indirectly taken from the billpayers...
    Last edited by Anasa_EONNext; 5 Hours Ago at 17:12.
    Community Manager
    Hey @retrotecchie We're just letting you know OFGEMS results nothing that we've calculated personally 😅 you can find out more details on their page.

Smart meters can help you save money by knowing what you are using. For example I've saved money being able to see what I'm using on my IHD. Smart meters stop you from being over charged on estimated readings or being under charged and have catch up bills.

There are quite a few testimonials as well for how smart has saved people money. There have been many issues with smart meters that we often see on the Community and are fully aware of this post is to highlight the positive side as per OFGEMS report and to keep the Community up to date. 😊
    @meldrewreborn if we have any data and can share it we'll always let our Community members know.😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 92
    @Anasa_EONNext

OFGEM have a vested interest in trying to save face on white elephant that smart metering has turned out to be.

I submit my readings every month and they are as accurate as a smart meter reading. So over or under estimating has never been an issue.

I know what I use. Seeing numbers go up on an IHD tells me nothing I don't already know when I put my oven or tumble drier on.

I wouldn't think 'Ooooh....the IHD is telling me my drier is using 20p an hour in electricity. If I don't use it I can save that money' . I think 'Yes, this is going to cost me 20p but I have no choice...I need to dry my wet clothes.'

My meter is over twenty years old. Bought and paid for. I've now been told I cannot have a smart meter because of something called Standard Settlement Conditions. Not withstanding the fact that E.On Next don't operate in my area or that smart meters simply don't work as we have no connectivity. So as I asked, in what possible universe could smart meters save me money? I'm paying more in SCs than ever, a significant chunk of which is funding the fiasco.

I'm eagerly anticipating the email telling me meter is out of certification and needs to be replaced. The question is, what with?! I can't have a smart meter because of SSC, E.On don't operate round here and there's no WAN. So who is going to replace my meter, what with, and when? I'm paying for it through my SCs, but not seeing any benefit.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @Anasa_EONNext

Name:  June24imageofsmartvnonsmart.PNG
Views: 20
Size:  51.8 KB

You'll see from the DENZ report that gas meters fare much worse than electricity meters is being non smart (or traditional mode or dumb in common parlance).

I'd wager that many customers still get their gas from British Gas, even if they get their electricity from elsewhere. Switching supplier has always been the prerogative of comparatively few of the population - its one of the reasons the price cap was originally introduced - to protect those who'd never switched.

Perhaps Eon Next would like to publish its figures broken down into electricity and gas then we could compare to the industry totals published by DENZ.

The Governments economic appraisal from years ago on the benefits of smart metering is now not worth a candle, because the programme is woefully behind schedule, costs have been greater than anticipated and positive assumptions made have proved to be quite wrong, and that's before the costs of replacing non functioning meters and technological redundancies in communications hubs are factored in.

I'm sure that some people find them useful. I'm equally convinced that people like me are able to control our energy costs extremely well without the need of a smart meter, and at lower cost, except of course that we contribute to smart metering whether we have them or not. Critics of smart metering recognise that Governments have lied to us over the years about the benefits. Unfortunately the current Secretary of State has previous form on this topic, so don't expect him to tell us the truth now.