Reactivate smart meter functions

Level 1
    I had smart meters fitted by Eon in 2018, moved supplier to British Gas in 2020 and lost the smart functions on the meter, I completed my switch back to Eon Next on the 31st of July this year but my meter still doesn't have any smart functions, is there something I need to do to get it up and running again?
  • 5 Replies

• Best Answer

Staff
    Best Answer
    Hi,@digitalhoodlum

There are lots of reasons why your smart meter can loose functionality depending on the type of smart meter that you have. There has recently been another thread on this, which you can find here.

A member of our community @theunknowntech has given a fantastic answer on there. If you are still having trouble contact us via face book or twitter or email us at hi@eonnext.com

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Sam
  • Best Answer

Level 79
    Best Answer
    In this case, it's still too soon to get the meters to reconnect. You need to allow six weeks for the transfer to go through. Given that you mention it was a 2018 install, this suggests to me that you have SMETS1 Secure Liberty meters - this would explain why they lost functionality after switching to British Gas (because BG used a terrible proprietary WAN that no-one else could touch). I don't have any details as to whether E.On Next supports any SMETS1 meters until after they've been migrated to DCC, however Secure Liberty meters are currently being migrated over in the active phase. It is estimated that your meters should reconnect by Winter 2021.

The best I can suggest for now is to hang in there and see what happens. I'm afraid no-one can speed this process up short of a Meter Exchange and that's not worth doing unless the migration fails.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Thanks to theunknowntech that was a very informative reply, I will wait a couple of weeks and see if it fires up again.
    Thanks for your help :-)
    Level 29
    Thanks to theunknowntech that was a very informative reply, I will wait a couple of weeks and see if it fires up again.
    Thanks for your help :-)
    Is that all? What will you do otherwise?
    Level 79
    Heya!

There's not much one can do while Smart Meters are being commissioned, transferred between suppliers or migrated to DCC, which can take up to six weeks. If the process takes longer than six weeks, then I always recommend chasing up just in case something went wrong along the way. Not least because if it's taking longer than six weeks, there's a strong chance that something hasn't gone to plan and there could well be a problem. If the migration completely fails and cannot be recovered, then it is possible to have the meter replaced with a SMETS2 meter.

The migration of SMETS1 meters to DCC though is being done in multiple phases because it's impractical to attempt to migrate literally everything at once. As far as I'm aware, pretty much all of the meter brands that did S1 meters have at least started to be migrated over to DCC but it's a long process and it's predicted to take until September 2022 to fully complete. With that being said, just over five million S1 meters have already been migrated and that number is increasing daily.