Some Questions

Level 1
    Hi I'm with EON, I currently have a solar array, and am thinking about obtaining a smart meter. I have several questions:

- What are the dimensions of the electricity smart meter? My electric cupboard is quite cramped.

- I’m currently on a Feed-in Tariff scheme. If I have a smart meter installed, will I lose that and be migrated to Smart Export Guarantee?

- Can the new smart meter function as an export meter, or do I have to install a separate export meter?

- Do I have to manually record and submit SEG export readings, or does the smart meter send those along with power usage?

- Does the In-Home Display show the amount being exported to the grid when this happens?

- When I have the smart meter installed, should I leave my existing FiT generation meter in place, or remove it?

Thanks.
  • 2 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Team
    Best Answer
    @Reflection Hey, good to see you.

I will try to answer these questions for you. The only one I might not have the info on will be the size of the smart meter, I would imagine it's not much bigger than your current meter.

So you will not automatically be migrated to SEG, you can opt out of FIT export and apply for SEG - The agreements are set for 12 months so you can opt in and out every 12 months.

The Smart meter will record export, no need for a separate export meter.

If you opted out and applied for seg, once this was accepted and registered etc - Payments are made with you supplying a photo of the export read from the smart meter.

The in home display if compatible, will only show you a pylon when you are a net exporter. It will not show what is being generated, also we would not accept a read from an IHD.

If you do go ahead with the smart install, yes you will need to leave your generation meter in place, without a generation meter we wouldn't be able to pay you FIT Generation. Also, if you do go ahead, you may be subject to a change in export payments, you would move from deemed export to actual export, this would still be FIT export and not SEG.

I hope this helps, tag me if you need anything further.

Thanks
    Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over
    here!
    📣
    Level 1
    @Reflection @Lee_EONNext

Cheers for that Lee.

So to be clear, if I switch to a smart meter, but choose to stay on my Feed-in Tariff, will my exports be recorded by the new smart meter, or continue to be estimated?

Thanks.