back billing

Level 1
    hello all,
    i'm looking for some advice on how to proceed.
    23 months ago eon replaced my meter with a smart meter.
    although i didn't notice it seems they did not take a note of the old meter reading and i wasn't billed for a months usage.
    this month i received my statement and eon have applied an estimated usage and billed me for it.

this has happened totally out the blue, no warning, no explanation, no calculations from how they worked out the estimate, nothing.

i have of course googled it and from what i can see i am not liable for this as it is over 12 months from usage.
    eon deny this, at first because it didn't put my account into debit and now just because it doesn't meet the ofgem criteria for back billing.

i have asked for clarification on why it doesn't meet the criteria but i don't appear to gettind anywhere.
    any suggestions on what my next step should be?

thanks in advance,

ken
  • 6 Replies

Level 91
    @kenthepanda

I don’t believe it!!!!

what to do, complain loud and clear, I expect you’ll win in the end.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 20
    @kenthepanda Hello and Welcome to the Community! 👋

In regards to the estimated reading for when the meter was exchanged, is there a meter reading on the meter exchange tag? (This will look like a yellow sticker or tag attached to the meter) 🤔

Have you had a response as to why the account is not eligible for back billing?

I have also located the thread Back billing - experience and resolution which has a lot of good information around back billing, if you would like to take a look 😊
    🌲 “Nature is the source of all true knowledge.” – Leonardo da Vinci 🌲

Need a little extra support when it comes to billing and payments? Check out the thread Changes to your E.ON Next payments, how can we help?

Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next ✨ Here
    Level 1
    Hi Helena,
    Thanks for following this up.
    Yes there is a yellow tag, but there are no meter readings on it.
    I can send a picture of this.
    It's two weeks now and I have had no further reply to my WhatsApp message or email.
    I finish work early on a Friday so I am planning to call customer service.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Community Team
    @kenthepanda that's a shame there's not any readings on the tag. Please keep us updated on how the call goes 😀
    🌳Together we can work to achieve a more sustainable Future 🌳
    Level 1
    Well here are, still not any further forward.
    Other than a very pleasant lady who is only relaying messages back to me no one at eon will engage with me on this.
    I have repeatedly asked for meter readings, knowing fine well that they cannot provide them, to justify their charges.
    The only answer I get is that because my account never went into debit back billing does not apply.
    I have asked them to send me the part of ofgems guidelines that states this and they ignore it.

I have now raised it with ofgem and I will be moving my business elsewhere.
    As a customer of over 10 years this is a despicable way to be treated, to not even have the decency to interact with me at even the most basic level is disgraceful.
    I will be moving my business elsewhere.

Level 91
    @kenthepanda

not one for OFGEM, but instead the energy ombudsman should be contacted.

if Eon Next did not bill you at all, with either estimated or actual readings then to my mind they haven’t a leg to stand on. If they had billed you with estimated readings, and then updated that months even years later with actual are better estimates they’d be OK.

The outcome will be determined by the facts and if no bills were raised for a period exceeding 12 months then it would seem to be conclusive. It’s natural for the supplier to seek to disprove your claim, but by taking the matter to the Ombudsman the company are no longer judge and jury in their own case.