Am I required to have a smart meter ? The definitive answer (I hope)

Level 91
    @Lee_EONNext

i read of research that showed over 94% of exchanged smart meter were actually fully functional when tested. These meters though are junked and the energy supplier has to pay up the balance of the rental to the meter supply company, which can be a couple of hundred pounds. Comms failures are The most likely cause of smart meter issues, and that is a DCC issue. Customers don’t have any access to DCC, and there is a distinct lack of public accountability there.

I’m certain that DCC would say that they don’t install the comms hubs (although they do supply them) but the security layers applied by DCC contribute to an overly complex system, designed to facilitate later add on services in and out of the home which have not got off the ground. In the meantime the system is way behind schedule and imposing significant costs to every electricity user through standing charges, whether that have smart meters or not.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Community Team
    @meldrewreborn Thanks for this, is good to see in terms of a %

I guess it's just from my own personal view we're if we did lose comms then how many SEG people would this affect and is that error with us or somewhere down the line of communications systems and software?

Ive had confirmed that without an Export Mpan we're unable to read them anyway, so at the application point we do need that photo.

Appreciate the response @meldrewreborn
    Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over
    here!
    📣
    Level 5
    The quote is from OFGEM's guidance for SEG licencees - which is you ! It may be worth you reading it, download here
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/2020/02/seg_generator_guidance_-_final_for_publication.pdf
    Put into practice Feb 2020 for any licencee offering seg payments - I believe it is still current, and should be adhered to as OFGEM are the regulators !

A manual reading, which is what you are asking for should NOT be a requirement for the SEG payment. You have also stated that a smart meter IS required for a SEG account which is how you should be monitoring customer power usage AND generation. So where exactly is the problem that requires a photo please ?
    Level 92
    @NoHope

I refer to the rules you linked to:

1.20. Applicants that have a meter that can read export and be read remotely by a SEG licensee will be able receive payments without taking manual meter readings. 1.21. Applicants that have a meter that cannot be read remotely should speak to their SEG licensee to discuss how export meter readings will be taken.

I think that's pretty clear. If your smart meter has an export register that is capable of being read remotely, it should be.

Where remote reading is not possible (due to communication issues or the fact that certain meters simply cannot have the export register read remotely) then your SEG licencee (in this case, E.On Next) has quite clearly stated that they require manual readings backed up with photographic evidence. Absolutely compliant with the OFGEM rules.

The SMETS2 specifications as adopted by the meter manufacturers were ratified before SEG was really a thing. Some newer meters do have export read capability - some don't. It's not a requirement of the metering regulations.

Sure, in a perfect world you would hope that all meters being installed have the requisite functionality. However, the energy suppliers cannot specify particular brands or models of meters. You get whatever SMETS2 meter is available from stock on the day of the install. Some suppliers have their own metering teams. Many meter installs are performed by third-party subcontractors working on behalf of the energy companies.

The meters are the responsibility of the supplier but usually belong to a different company. The communications hubs are the property of, and the responsibility of the DCC.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 1 Hour Ago at 16:24.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.