Smart meter statistics to end March 2024 published 30 May 2024.

Level 18
    My main concern now is that I am switching to a fixed tariff, and was told that I would have to have smart meters fitted which have now been arranged. Taking the advice of not using the IHD seems to help in that I don't want to constantly see how much I am using or spending.
    However, reading all the stories about the reliability of the SMETS2 meters, what guarantee will i have that the meters will be correct.
    As i have kept records of my monthly usage for a number of years, I will be keeping a check , probably almost daily for a time, to ensure that the readings sent to E.on will be correct
    Level 79
    MID Certification is the same across ALL Meters. If a meter cannot accurately record locally, it cannot go on the wall.

everything else is secondary.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 91
    @Johnh1995

The stories about the reliability of smart meters overwhelmingly relate to data transmission, not to their accuracy in recording consumption.

While there have been cases reported to the forum that strongly indicated actual meter failure these have been rare. Gas meters, because they operate using a battery to record and transmit data, and the assumed battery life is often not delivered in practice, are more likely to go first dumb, and then later to stop recording at all. But the latter situation is again rare, and overall I believe that you are worrying unnecessarily.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 85
    Morning @Johnh1995
    As i have kept records of my monthly usage for a number of years, I will be keeping a check , probably almost daily for a time, to ensure that the readings sent to E.on will be correct

Best thing. It's what many of the learned members do 👍.
    Community Team
    Morning all,

So essentially the option to fit a non communicating smart meter is there - however due to rules and regulations we WILL NOT fit a meter that we know won't communicate. This was a different story back in the day when we were waiting for SMETS2 however this is no longer an option and we could get into trouble for doing so, as it's not in the best interests of our customers.

The only time we can install a non communicating smart meter as @Lee_EONNext pointed out is for SEG. Even then this would only be as a last resort so we can comply with supporting the customer to be able to read their export reading. This would also be a temporary solution and as soon as the meter was able to be fully commissioned or smartified it would be.
    Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 6 Days Ago at 08:55.
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

E.ON Next Poll - How much do you know about the Priority Service Register? - If you have a spare 2 minutes 🕑 we'd love if you complete our poll about the Priority Service Register 🤗
    Level 18
    @DebF_EONNext
    Thanks for the info.
    Can you please ensure that your customer services team are fully aware of this information.
    To be told the opposite when changing tariffs and then rebuffed, is not good.
    Level 79
    Indeed. I've received intel that someone in customer services of a supplier was giving bad advice about this recently (as in, it could be installed as non-communicating), but my sources didn't say which one. I get the feeling that I know which one it was now.
    Level 49
    @Johnh1995

I agree with @meldrewreborn and @WizzyWigg

I've had smart meters since 2017, and it's only the communication of the readings from the meters to Eon Next that is a failure. My electricity usage is almost the same every month, and my consumption recordings have never been inaccurate. Like everyone I use more gas in winter, but checking previous similar winters usage my gas consumption recordings have never been inaccurate either. I check mine once a month when I read the meters to send the manual readings in, but I still used to read them every month when they were working in smart mode.
    Level 92
    @Johnh1995

I have no issues with the accuracy of smart meters. By law they can be no more or less accurate than a non-smart meter. My meter is over twenty years old so well outside it's certified life, but I know it's accurate (or at least within tolerance) because I have two other meters I fitted myself and everything always agrees to within 1%.

There is nothing to stop anyone fitting their own meter downstream of the suppliers meter. I have two. A whole house meter that mimics the supplier meter, and a second one in a secondary consumer unit that submeters all my business usage so I can bill my company separately for energy used in the office. Both of these meters are 'smart' in that I can instantly read them remotely on the PC as well as graph and monitor my energy usage to an accuracy of one reading every ten seconds if need be.

I still have to read the main meter as that is the reading I submit for billing purposes.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.