What kind of meter is this?

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    Hello,

I'm hoping somebody here has the expertise to help me. I've been told by E.ON that my radio teleswitch meter needs to be replaced with a smart meter. However, my meter doesn't look like the photos I've seen of RTS meters - instead it looks like a mechanical timer. My guess is that it's as old as the building: about 40 years. Could it have an RTS component as well as the thing that looks like a timer? Here is a photo of my meter:

Name:  meter.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  32.4 KB

A follow-up question... With my system, the hot water and storage heaters are on a separate night-only circuit which is switched on and off by this meter/timer. They don't have their own timers. I am struggling to get a straight answer out of E.ON as to whether the smart meter will switch this circuit on and off, as opposed to just switching between day and night tariff rates. Does anyone reading this have an economy 7 system with an E.ON smart meter that switches their hot water and storage heaters on and off? I have read things about 5-terminal smart meters, so I believe it is possible, but E.ON customer support are not giving me confidence.

Many thanks,
    Andrew
  • 4 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @JoeSoap Thanks for the tag.

@Andrew123

No RTS involved in this setup. Purely a mechanical time-switch and a generic two-rate meter.

It will need to be swapped out purely because it will be so far out of it's certification date rather than for RTS reasons.

A five terminal smart meter, correctly configured for dual-rate (Economy7) should be able to provide switching for the heating and hot water systems.

Never mind what E.On Next customer services tell you. They won't be the ones installing a new meter! The meter engineers should provide a five terminal unit and correctly configure it to switch the fifth terminal on during off-peak rates.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @Andrew123

I’ll tag @retrotecchie to take a look at this. He’s good at these questions.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    There you go 👍. Not all superheroes have capes 😂
    Level 1
    @retrotecchie Thanks, that's very helpful. I think E.On customer services haven't been trained that these systems exist, and if they don't handle the meter installations themselves then that would explain why they can't say much about how exactly it would work. Now that I know that a smart meter can be compatible with my system, I have some faith that the engineer will do what I need - and I can check with the engineer beforehand. I was worried that I was going to be left with the hot water and central heating on 24 hours a day, and that I'd have to get an electrician in to install timers or put in a new system.