Switching to Eon

View Tag Cloud
    Level 6
    Hi, I'm fed up with my current energy supplier (waaaaay
    too many back-and-forth calls with customer service over a simple issue 😑) and thought I'd pop in here to see if EON is a good choice to switch to. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Why would you switch to or not switch to EON? The 'why' interests me the most 🙂
  • 4 Replies

Level 29
    Hi, I'm fed up with my current energy supplier (waaaaay
    too many back-and-forth calls with customer service over a simple issue 😑) and thought I'd pop in here to see if EON is a good choice to switch to. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Why would you switch to or not switch to EON? The 'why' interests me the most 🙂
    Plus points: if you run an EV the Next Drive is a good tariff

My experience of Cust Services is just about OK, but judging by some people's experience posted here can be pretty appalling when you have a real problem (though admittedly the people who post are generally only posting about bad experiences - good service doesn't get reported, ie the only "good" news is bad news 😀)
    Level 57
    @ANN8619

I've been with Eon Next since October 2021 and have had little in the way of issues since I joined. Even phoning (at various times of the day) has always been met with a decent response time (within 5-10 mins I'd say). My circumstances are, what might be described as some, as being 'uncomplicated' - dual fuel, single rate tariff (so no EV and no solar).

I went through a phase of being SOLR'd a few years ago so have experienced Scottish Power, British Gas and Octopus in a relatively short time boom boom boom. Prices are good with Eon Next, as far as I am concerned, and customer service is decent from my my perspective. Having a forum such as this is a bonus. 👍
    Level 6
    Thank you both for your feedback. I'm not too fussy as a customer, so I might give E.ON a try.
    Level 44
    Hi @ANN8619

My opinion is that with a lot of companies these days, it depends on who you get through to and how good their actual knowledge is rather than just reading from a screen.

I did have one poor experience with E.on Next. When the Energy Bill Support Scheme was in operation E.on Next put my DD on hold as the EBSS payment of £67 was greater than my DD. When the EBSS ended I received an email saying my bill was ready and 'ways to pay..' etc. They didn't take my DD so I called them and they said my DD was set up and would be taken next month as usual. So I waited and the next month I received the email about my bill being ready and again rather than saying 'we'll take your payment of £x by DD on ...' I had the 'ways to pay...' email.
    I called again and was told that my DD was set up and would be taken next month.

So the same thing happened the next month and when I called the fourth time I started by saying that I wanted to make a complaint and went on to explain why. The first thing she said was "well the box to pay by DD hasn't been ticked, I don't know why the previous people you've spoken to didn't see that". Based upon that one experience one could say that only 25% of Customer Services know the basics but I think, based on other interactions I've had, I was very unlucky and had I have got through the to last person first, it would have never been a problem.

The real failure here though was that E.on Next turned off my DD but didn't have a robust procedure for ensuring it was turned back on again. So it's poor management that resulted in me having to contact CS in the first place.

In their favour, they have always been proactive in adjusting my DD downwards if a surplus starts to accumulate, I've never had to contact them in this regard. Overall, I'd recommend E.on Next.