Why am I not surprised!

• Tags for this Thread
  • eac
View Tag Cloud
    Level 8
    So I gave my readings on the 23/03/24. I then gave this months reading on the 23/04/24 which were as expected.
    I realized that the tariff would be lower from the 01/04/24 and thought mistakenly that eon Next would estimate accordingly to my average daily use.( I'm not on a smart meter )

So on looking at my account I see eon Next have estimated that in the 8 days up to 01/04/24 at the more expensive tariff I used 90% of my average monthly consumption and only 10% over the remaining 22 days at the new lower tariff..

This is blatant sharp practice and amounts to theft!
    Last edited by XL5; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:23. Reason: Additional text
  • 27 Replies

Level 91
    @XL5

It is always best to submit a manual reading at, or as close as possible to, the day you are aware the tariffs are changing in order to avoid wild estimates. Why not contact customer service and ask them to look at why they have estimated as they have done?
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 8
    @JoeSoap
    contacted customer service and all I get is it's automated and is based on my annual consumption...now there's the rub!! I was told if I gave more than 12 months readings my estimated annual usage would automatically correct itself...I have been giving monthly readings for three years and no such correction to my AEU have occurred...my AEU is nearly 5000kwh yet over the three years and 36 monthly readings submitted it clearly shows im using 3000kwh per year!
    Level 91
    @XL5

You could always try a complaint to unhappy@eonnext.com providing your calculations and own estimate. I know you don't want smart meters but they come in handy sometimes. I'm surprised that you didn't follow your previous advice here
    Level 8
    @JoeSoap
    I honestly thought eon next would bill fairly... obviously not
    Last edited by Lee_EONNext; 1 Week Ago at 20:30. Reason: Moderation
    Level 56
    @XL5

Have you ever provided readings on tariff-change dates or have you always allowed Eon Next to use estimated reads for these dates?

I can see that the reverse scenario can and does happen when the tariffs increase rather than decrease. Some folk also resort to over-inflating submitted reads to save some £ at the expense of the supplier. The advice given by most is for the customer to manually submit manual readings on these dates unless they have a fully functioning smart meter. That way neither the supplier nor the customer gains. 👍

Eon Next are wholly reliant on the provision of the EAU by the mysterious 3rd party industry database. Many customers (inc myself) saw their own annualised advance (AA) consumption numbers fall since 2019 but still find the EAU still sits higher than their own AA. I'm not sure how long back the industry databases go for inclusion of consumption figures for a property but it has to be more than 1 year as you can see from my figures attached. The figures for electricity are not too far out and my gas is reasonably accurate.

Name:  EACvAA.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  74.5 KB
    Last edited by Mailman; 2 Weeks Ago at 14:46.
    Level 8
    @Mailman
    HI
    I've given readings every single month for three years since I've been with eon next and still no correction to my EAU..it's basically 60% more than my actual usage.
    Id submitted reading a week before the new lower tariff and as I say thought eon next would see my actual usage and estimate accordingly...sadly not..I could kick myself as I've always submitted readings up to the date of new tariffs...You live and learn .. someone is always ready to chisel you...

Customer service staff I've spoken to do not understand...just keep saying the EAU will correct itself and your estimated reading is based on this....no offer to look at my actual usage and correct this either manually or contact the powers that be.....
    Level 91
    @XL5

It might be automated but that doesn't make the computation correct. I'd have one more try with customer services, and record the call for evidence, and if they don't admit that it needs correcting then make a complaint and be prepared to eventually take it to the ombudsman.

This is not acceptable. You could also try BBC watchdog.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @XL5

Presumably your readings do not feed back in to the EAC - perhaps they're not official enough. Consider registering for the PRS and get them to read your meters for you.