Access to Smart Meter Data

Level 1
    Just discovered I no longer need to read my meters daily and create my own spreadsheet. I can use the App on my phone to see historical data.
    However I would really like to just see the historical daily meter readings so I can factor in VAT, Service charges and my current rates. Is that already available or could it be possible in the future?

It was possible with SSE and also online enabling cut and paste.
  • 10 Replies

Level 56
    @AWR0424

Surely the electricity used (kWh) each day (if accurate) will suffice (i.e the differential) rather than daily meter reads - that is assuming you have a functioning IHD? That is what I use (via the IHD rather than the Eon Next, Bright, Ivie apps etc) applying the tariff rate (VAT inc) and the SC (VAT inc) into my spreadsheet and budget accordingly. The only time I check the meters is once a month just before the smart meter reads are lifted. Gas is a little more problematic as the CV (calorific value) needs to be factored in to any meter read differential and the CV values reported are often published a day or two afterwards from my experience. Because of this I reconcile the gas after the bill is received where I then know what the CV used has been. My spreadsheets are accurate and have always agreed to the smart meter reads taken since I joined Eon Next.👍
    Level 1
    @Mailman Thanks for your reply, I understand using kWh values from the IHD but how do you get them from the IHD to your spreadsheet with out coping two values for each day manually?
    Level 56
    @Mailman Thanks for your reply, I understand using kWh values from the IHD but how do you get them from the IHD to your spreadsheet with out coping two values for each day manually?

That is exactly what I did this morning - looked at the IHD and manually put the 2 figures (gas-kWh and elec-kWh) into my monthly spreadsheet and the formulae set up produce further stats and costings.
    Level 1
    Thanks but didn't really want to copy the numbers (KWh or Meter Units) for each day. Using the online SSE system was so easy.
    Level 92
    @AWR0424

You could download the Bright app from Hildebrand and then register with their Glowmarkt website which allows you to download the meter data directly in CSV format for putting into a spreadsheet. You will need your smart meter preferences set to half-hourly (via meter preferences in your Eon online account). @geoffers is our resident expert on such things, so he may be able to give you a few tips.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 56
    Thanks but didn't really want to copy the numbers (KWh or Meter Units) for each day. Using the online SSE system was so easy.

Cut and Paste (SSE or Bright) v Look at the IHD and type 2 figures taking less time than it has taken me to post this reply 😉

If you are happy with Cut and Paste then the reply given by the @retrotecchie post above 🧐 should be sufficient for your purposes. I'm off to copy my numbers from the IHD for yesterday. 🍻
    Level 28
    @AWR0424

You could download the Bright app from Hildebrand and then register with their Glowmarkt website which allows you to download the meter data directly in CSV format for putting into a spreadsheet. You will need your smart meter preferences set to half-hourly (via meter preferences in your Eon online account). @geoffers is our resident expert on such things, so he may be able to give you a few tips.

If you download your usage from glowmarkt using data-granularity=Day and open the .csv file in excel, this simple excel-VB macro will format your daily costs over the past couple of years in a split second 😎 ... obviously edit your own tariff & s/c where indicated.

(FYI You can cut and paste the macro code directly into a VB module via the Developer tab in excel - this tab is normally hidden, but can be enabled in the excel settings options. NB make sure you add it to your personal.xlsb workbook so it will always be available to run)

Code:
    Sub SmartDailyCost()
        Range("D1").Select
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Cost"
        Range("E1").Select
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Cost+s/c"
        Range("F1").Select
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Cost+vat"
        Columns("D:F").Select
        Selection.NumberFormat = "$#,##0.00"

Range("G1").Select
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Tariff"
        Range("H1").Select
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "0.31271"    '<<<<< add your tariff here
        Range("G2").Select
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "s/c"
        Range("H2").Select
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "0.55504"    '<<<<< add your standing charge here
        Range("H1:H2").Select
        Selection.NumberFormat = "$#,##0.00000"
        Range("G3").Select
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "vat"
        Range("H3").Select
        Selection.NumberFormat = "0.00%"
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "5%"
        Range("D2").Select

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-2]*R1C8"
        ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Range("A1").Select
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-1]+R2C8"
        ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Range("A1").Select
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-1]*(1+R3C8)"
        ActiveCell.Offset(0, -3).Range("A1").Select
        Selection.End(xlDown).Select
        ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Range("A1:C1").Select
        Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlUp)).Select
        Selection.FillDown
    End Sub
    Last edited by geoffers; 1 Week Ago at 21:59.
    Level 28
    @geoffers

Other (better) spreadsheets are also available 😉
    No doubt there are, but I just knocked that up in 2 minutes to help the OP in reply to the earlier post 👍