Latest stats show 13.5% of smart meters dumb

Level 91
    Q4 2023 Smart Meters Statistics Report (publishing.service.gov.uk)

It appears that data reported previously was inaccurate due to under reporting by suppliers. But now for domestic meters as at end Dec 2023, 3,922,000 smart meters out of a total of 28,988,000 were operating in traditional mode, i.e. dumb in common parlance.

I suspect that means the meters were not in communication with the supplier. It probably also means that IHD issues are ignored. Gas meters were much more likely to be dumb, despite there being fewer gas meters compared to electricity meters.

Its hardly a great success story, and its costing us all dear.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
  • 10 Replies

Level 28
    Q4 2023 Smart Meters Statistics Report (publishing.service.gov.uk)

It appears that data reported previously was inaccurate due to under reporting by suppliers. But now for domestic meters as at end Dec 2023, 3,922,000 smart meters out of a total of 28,988,000 were operating in traditional mode, i.e. dumb in common parlance.

I suspect that means the meters were not in communication with the supplier. It probably also means that IHD issues are ignored. Gas meters were much more likely to be dumb, despite there being fewer gas meters compared to electricity meters.

Its hardly a great success story, and its costing us all dear.
    @meldrewreborn FIFY >>> Latest stats show 86.5% of smart meters are smart 🤓 ...

So that means the vast majority of users don't have a gripe with them 🤣
    Last edited by geoffers; 22-03-24 at 02:20.
    Level 92
    @geoffers

No. You have to take the wider view.

Only around 51% of the total meter base is 'smart'. Which means if you take the 86.5% as gospel...but we know the official figures underestimate the truth about non-functional smart meters...then that means only around 44% of the population have a working smart meter.

Which rather makes a mockery of having every meter in the UK smart by 2018 as was the original plan. As 3g turnoff will happen regardles of the gumment saying it will still be working in 2032, the number of meters going dumb is increasing every week.

Of the working smart meters, how many work 100% to spec? I.e, always have correct tariff data,show correct ToU data and never have a glitch talking to the IHD.

The truth is that probably a tiny minority of energy customers have nothing to gripe about.

And you can likely scratch half of those that then go out and buy an EV to find that adds confusion into the mix 🤣🤣🤣
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 28
    @geoffers

No. You have to take the wider view.

Only around 51% of the total meter base is 'smart'. Which means if you take the 86.5% as gospel...but we know the official figures underestimate the truth about non-functional smart meters...then that means only around 44% of the population have a working smart meter.

Which rather makes a mockery of having every meter in the UK smart by 2018 as was the original plan. As 3g turnoff will happen regardles of the gumment saying it will still be working in 2032, the number of meters going dumb is increasing every week.

Of the working smart meters, how many work 100% to spec? I.e, always have correct tariff data,show correct ToU data and never have a glitch talking to the IHD.

The truth is that probably a tiny minority of energy customers have nothing to gripe about.

And you can likely scratch half of those that then go out and buy an EV to find that adds confusion into the mix 🤣🤣🤣
    But how does continuously moaning about the problem solve it?

We all know it's not perfect, but you could add countless other systems/projects etc to the list.

Continuously banging on about it doesn't solve anything...
    Level 91
    @geoffers

the powers that be in this country clearly don’t have clue about the infective monster that’s been inflicted on us. The waste is huge but as it’s not public money the care not.
    Level 28
    @geoffers

the powers that be in this country clearly don’t have clue about the infective monster that’s been inflicted on us. The waste is huge but as it’s not public money the care not.
    You could also add HS2; the 2 x white elephant (sitting 🦆) aircraft carriers built by the French; the COVID test & trace app; NHS IT-system incompatibility etc etc...

One common factor - they are all govt. led projects 🤔
    Level 92
    But how does continuously moaning about the problem solve it?

We all know it's not perfect.

Continuously banging on about it doesn't solve anything...

Never let perfect be the enemy of the good. But the system barely scrapes mediocre...it doesn't even make 'so so', let alone 'good'.

I have nothing against the idea and had it been properly implemented by engineers and industry experts then we wouldn't be where we are now and everyone's bills would be half of what they are now. But governments and government appointed quangos (DCC) or toothless tigers (OFGEM) are not the right people for the job, as most government projects have proven.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

It seems to me that most of the problems relate to the WAN and HAN protocols, and why alternative methods of relaying information have not been adopted. Fundamentally it’s about getting readings from the meter back to the supplier. Why prices need to be on the meter rather than being sent direct to the IHD is a mystery to me.
    Level 91
    @geoffers

We’re not in a position to solve it. In what other consumer product would we accept that level of failure.

Its like other virtual monopolies the NHS, railways, water supply and pothole fixing, what are we supposed to do when delivery is poor - just accept it? Or do we shout about it in the somewhat vain hope that eventually things might improve?
    Level 28
    @geoffers

We’re not in a position to solve it. In what other consumer product would we accept that level of failure.

Its like other virtual monopolies the NHS, railways, water supply and pothole fixing, what are we supposed to do when delivery is poor - just accept it? Or do we shout about it in the somewhat vain hope that eventually things might improve?
    Agreed 👍 - but continually banging on about it in here where you get maybe a few hundred views is hardly worth the effort.

Why not go and super-glue yourself to the road somewhere if you feel that strongly🤣😁