Failed smart meter install messed up account

Level 5
    There have been 3 failed attempts to install a smart meters on my property. The last 2 failed because they could not connect to the system to register them so they had to take them out again. I'm not bothered about smart meters now after the bad reports I have seen and heard from people who have them. The problem I have had since the last failed attempt is that I cannot manage my account online. The first thing I noticed was that I could not submit an electric meter reading because the number was too high. Somehow it had got reset to zero on the system because of the new smart meter I presume despite that being removed because they could not complete installation. After some calls it turned out the serial number of my meter was not what they had on record. I then got a Bill for some arbitrary amount which they said I had not been charged for...I don't know how they calculated that £400 as it would have been estimated anyway but I paid it. They reset the system and I was able to start submitting meter readings online. The next problem I had was trying to manage my direct debit or change my tariff which I still cannot do because the system thinks I use over £10k of electric per year when it is only me and my wife in a 3 bedroom house and our direct debit is only £122 a month! I got into £700 debit because I cannot manage my dd myself so I have to pay off lump sums which I did £400 recently then I get a call to review my account and monthly payment. The person I spoke to was very nice and helpful. No pressure and was understanding and flexible to resolve that issue by increasing the direct debit. I logged a complaint about the above regarding not being able to manage things myself due to the incorrect £10k+ annual usage, not for the first time, and was told they would look into it. I got a call back to say it was not something that can be changed manually as it is calculated automatically from usage and it will resolve itself if I keep submitting readings. How many they could not say. So how did it get like this when it was ok before? It can be adjusted surely, it was at one point when the new meter was fitted but obviously not reset when the old one was put back. It will just be a set of numbers in a database. I am a software developer so I know how these things work. I just keep getting the same answer that they can't fix it. This has been going on for 2 years now. It is fortunate that I can cope with this financially. I can only imagine how awful this could be for someone less fortunate than myself in that regard. Feels like the only way I can resolve this is to change supplier. Sorry for the long post but this is ridiculous and I wanted to get it off my chest...
    Last edited by SMc; 15-02-24 at 19:28. Reason: Fix some typos
  • 16 Replies

Community Team
    Hi @SMc

Welcome to the Community!

I've moved your thread to a more appropriate sub-forum, as I can see you've not had a response to this just yet.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had such a poor experience when it comes to having a Smart Meter installed 😔

From what you've said, I understand that your Estimated Annual Consumption (EAC) figure is more than likely very incorrect on your account, and the only way this can be changed is by receiving regular meter readings as we have to send these off to the Data Collector (DC) and they then ping us back a new EAC figure to update on our system.

Although it's not the usual thing to do, as it can cause other issues later down the line, should you have a complaint open with us about this reason, we can work to get the figure updated manually with the DC, and it sounds like this may need to be done for you if this has been happening now for over 2 years.

This error occurs usually when there's been an incorrect meter reading in the past submitted to the industry, or can occur on occasion when the meter has clocked over (from 99999 to 00000)

Is your complaint still open on your account in relation to this?

I'm hoping that we can work to get this resolved for you sooner rather than later. I appreciate that your frustration may cause you to change to another supplier, but it's worth noting that switching supplier won't fix this issue, as the information in relation to your EAC is based on industry data as opposed to the system we use to hold your account.
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 91
    @SMc

Sorry to hear about this saga.

Are you able to put in readings now OK? The EAC being wrong will cause the computer to think your usage is much higher than it should be and will prevent the monthly Direct Debit being set to what it thinks is a figure that is too low. If you switch to Variable direct debit your will get the same prices but your bills will be for exactly what you use each month - provided you submit your readings regularly. If though you missed a month the reading might be estimated from the incorrect EAC and thus the bill would be too high.

Most of us here are other customers and in this case the solution is known about and thus there's not much the rest of us can do other than sympathise.

A complaint is certainly merited.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    @meldrewreborn Thanks for your reply. Not sure what EAC is..Estimated Annual Cost? I am now getting emails, texts and calls that my smart meter is going to stop working soon...which I don't have. I am actually in the process of selling my home and I really hope the new owner does not inherit this. They should be able to sort this issue out but seem unwilling.
    Level 5
    @PeterT_EONNext Thanks for your reply. My complaint is not open. I made a complaint and it was closed as they said there was nothing that could be done as the number could not be adjusted and I had to keep submitting readings. Interesting that you say it can be adjusted. I would very much appreciate if it could be done. I am now getting emails, texts and calls to tell me my smart meter is going to stop working and I don't have any! I am currently selling my home so would be very good to resolve this soon.
    Level 91
    @SMc

Estimated Annual Consumption Not computed by Eon Next, but compile nationally from reading data and then passed back down. normally works fine but real problem when something goes wrong
    Level 5
    @PeterT_EONNext I got an email today from EON asking me for feedback for resolving my complaint, which they did not, they just closed it because they could not do anything. This prompted me to check my EAC again and it has actually gone up from £10k+ to £12,780! This is crazy and frankly very worrying. It is causing my wife and I some considerable stress and is really not acceptable. Is there anything you can advise we do about this?
    Level 55
    This has been going on for 2 years now. It is fortunate that I can cope with this financially. I can only imagine how awful this could be for someone less fortunate than myself in that regard. Feels like the only way I can resolve this is to change supplier. Sorry for the long post but this is ridiculous and I wanted to get it off my chest...

If this runaround has been going on for 2 years and so long as your account balance is at least £0 (or possibly some credit) there should be no impediment to you being able to switch supplier. I'm surprised that you have stuck with Eon Next given the obvious angst you feel about it all.

Re EAC/EAU (Estimated Annual Usage), so long as regular reads are submitted (customer or smart), at least every month and you have been in residence at the same abode for 2+ years, with the same source of heating etc then your actual consumption (kWh) over a rolling 12 month period should be reasonably close to the EAU (kWh) figures provided by Eon's DC (Data Collector). These EAU figures (plus an indication of the costing) are replicated on each statement. I see that you've quoted £ for your usage but I'd be interested to know how the (EAU) kWh figures tally with what you know you've used in say the last 12 months.
    Last edited by Mailman; 29-02-24 at 10:35.
    Level 5
    Thanks for your reply. From my lat statement...
    Estimated annual usage
    (day)
    11700.0 kWh
    Estimated annual usage
    (night)
    46819.4 kWh

For Jan 2024 my actual usage was 208.0 kWh (night) and 226.0 kWh (day)

I got to £700 in debit which I am now paying off and my monthly payment increased in lines with actual usage. I have been in this property for over 6 years, first with NPower then EON. This only happened after a failed smart meter install and putting the old one back after which I could not enter readings as it said the number was too high...last reading was 0 due to the error. The serial number of my meter was not what they had on record. I had to pay £400 when they changed that as they said I had not been charged for a few months. I was then able to enter readings but the EAC has gone up rather than down despite over 12 months of meter readings. This is their error but there seems to be no will to fix it fully. It has been stated here that the EAC is not stored at EON but some central data centre and it would just follow me if I switched supplier.
    Last edited by SMc; 28-02-24 at 23:32.
    Level 55
    Thanks for your reply. From my lat statement...
    Estimated annual usage
    (day)
    11700.0 kWh
    Estimated annual usage
    (night)
    46819.4 kWh

For Jan 2024 my actual usage was 208.0 kWh (night) and 226.0 kWh (day)

I got to £700 in debit which I am now paying off and my monthly payment increased in lines with actual usage. I have been in this property for over 6 years, first with NPower then EON. This only happened after a failed smart meter install and putting the old one back after which I could not enter readings as it said the number was too high...last reading was 0 due to the error. The serial number of my meter was not what they had on record. I had to pay £400 when they changed that as they said I had not been charged for a few months. I was then able to enter readings but the EAC has gone up rather than down despite over 12 months of meter readings. This is their error but there seems to be no will to fix it fully. It has been stated here that the EAC is not stored at EON but some central data centre and it would just follow me if I switched supplier.

If you paid by Variable Direct Debit using actual reads submitted when the reads are due, the EAC figures will end up being totally irrelevant and the DD just zeroises the account balance monthly. This would force you to submit accurate monthly reads and given time the EAC would reflect your actual usage again. Once your account has got the correct meter details linked to your account, as it used to be, this might be something you could consider.