IHD3 frozen after power outage

Level 91
    If there was a power outage the communications hub would also have lost power. Is there a chance that the outage was proceeded by a power surge? The problem could be there rather than the IHD. One way to confirm whether there's an internal rechargeable battery in the IHD (which I would think highly likely as otherwise any short power cut would cause the IHD to go blank) would be to withdraw the power lead and see how long it takes to go blank..

Not taking any position on this as I'm an amateur when it comes to smart metering!

Confucius he say: Man who sit on fence likely to rip trousers.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 28
    If there was a power outage the communications hub would also have lost power.
    I think you've probably hit the nail on the head there - all this talk about resetting IHDs; letting their batteries run down etc is probably clutching at straws.

Googling for IHD connection problems I've seen quite a lot of mention on other forums of comms hubs requiring resetting - probably requiring a reset command issued via the DCC, but there were even instances of people pulling their main supply fuse causing a Comms reboot

eg this posting for instance... https://myenergi.info/smart-meter-fa...14414f9#p74098

This doesn't explain the IHD frozen after a power outage, but maybe the Comms hub didn't reboot correctly
    Last edited by geoffers; 26-01-24 at 19:19.
    Level 3
    @meldrewreborn
    once I remove the power cord the screen goes blank.The power outage just affected our property and only the electricity supply to the farmhouse not the cottage. The national grid chap said that storm Isha had dislodged a connector on the telephone pole beside the house. I think it was just an outage no surge.
    Level 3
    @geoffers
    The IHD has full bars on wifi. Does this indicate contact with the smart meter or not? There is no time just all zeros and just the message " waiting for current data"
    Level 28
    @geoffers
    The IHD has full bars on wifi. Does this indicate contact with the smart meter or not? There is no time just all zeros and just the message " waiting for current data"

Afraid most of us here are just amateurs, so most responses are just guesswork; personal experience & lots of googling. That being said the community common-knowledge probably far exceeds the response you'll get from the average Joe in customer services.

One of the better sources of online help is via the OVO website
    https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/artic...roubleshooting

My take on this since the WiFi bars are full is that the IHD can see a strong WiFi (ZigBee) signal and probably/possibly is connected to the Home Area Network (HAN)

However the IHD/CommsHub presumably have to negotiate a connection, since the IHD had been paired with the meter at installation.

So either the IHD is sending the wrong connection credentials (unlikely) which the HAN won't accept, or it's sending the correct login credentials but somehow the HAN has forgotten them (more likely) so doesn't connect.

The latter would seem to fit in with your power outage, so the Comms hub/HAN may just need another restart, or the IHD pairing may need to be reperformed 🤔

https://myenergi.info/smart-meter-fa...14414f9#p74098

As I said earlier this is just an educated guess...
    Last edited by geoffers; 26-01-24 at 20:48.