High Gas Readings Since Smart Meter Installed

Level 91
    @CubeConn

making comparisons when thermostat adjusting is carried out becomes complicated. The weather is one variable you can’t control but adding others renders comparison even more difficult the whole point of a thermostat is to keep the indoors temperature stable without needing adjustment. I fully recognise that sometimes we feel colder some days than others, and wind direction and speed are factors that I consider suspects in that. We have a fullness gas fire in our lounge which we have on sometimes, even just the pilot, sometimes the low setting (1kWh). This provides our fudge factor.

my comparison is done month by month, if ts the level of granularity that makes sense to me
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Community Team
    Hey @CubeConn

Firstly, welcome to the Community! 😄

We're all spreadsheets and numbers here, as you'll see from the guys above, who are also very on it! We love to see it!

Some great conversation going on here and it's always worth checking when you have new gear installed.

Definitely let us know what happens after you've been tracking it for the month, though I'm sure to mirror the guys above, it's possibly just due to how the weather has been this Jan.

Looking forward to hear how things go now you've got the new meters installed, hopefully all good 🤞
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 28
    @CubeConn ...I fully recognise that sometimes we feel colder some days than others, and wind direction and speed are factors that I consider suspects in that....
    I wonder if it's more "radiant" heat which has an effect on the apparent feeling of cold or not.

There are grey days in the winter when 20⁰C in the sitting room feel downright cold.

However there are sunny days in the summer when you can happily sit in the sitting room in shorts whilst the ambient temperature is still only 20⁰C

I appreciate that damp/humidity/draughts etc will all have negative impacts in winter, but the energy radiated by that nice shiny sun clearly adds to the apparent feeling of warmth (same I guess with log burning stoves etc)
    Level 55
    I wonder if it's more "radiant" heat which has an effect on the apparent feeling of cold or not.

There are grey days in the winter when 20⁰C in the sitting room feel downright cold.

However there are sunny days in the summer when you can happily sit in the sitting room in shorts whilst the ambient temperature is still only 20⁰C

I appreciate that damp/humidity/draughts etc will all have negative impacts in winter, but the energy radiated by that nice shiny sun clearly adds to the apparent feeling of warmth (same I guess with log burning stoves etc)

Def agree with the above and the relative orientation of the 'important' rooms relative to any sun out there makes this even more apparent. Yesterday the sun shone in our lounge until early afternoon and kept this side of the bunglaow quite snug with little need for the boiler to fire up to maintain temperture set points after the morning burst. Today has actually been a little warmer but horribly overcast - gas usage is higher compared to yesterday. Wednesday should see good periods of sunshine in the south side until early afternoon so I'm expecting the boiler will find it easier to maintain temperature and go back to the usage (circa 30kWh) that I saw on Monday.
    Level 1
    @CubeConn. I have exactly your experience. I also have weekly spreadsheet data going back 12 years from when we had solar panels installed. My weekly gas and electric usage over these years had a clear and consistent pattern. These previous meter readings led to accurate bills that were about typical for a property such as ours so I doubt that the gas meter was under-recording. The smart meters were installed a week ago. Electric readings look ok and in line with past levels. But the gas readings are at twice the level of the past meter and way out of line with 12 years of averages for this time of year with no discernible change in usage patterns or recent weather.
    I am with EDF and am taking it up with them but their initial reaction was one of scepticism over my problem.
    Community Team
    Hey @CubeConn,

Do you have an update for us? I would love to hear how it's going, it would be interesting to know if it's started to level out a bit since the weather has started to change?
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 01/05/24 🏖