Gas usage on the E.ON Next App

Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

In fact I just went onto the DCC website to look something up....and the News link gave me this:

Name:  dccfailure.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  15.7 KB
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 80
    Still, it does seem weird that some users (ie. me πŸ€“) can see their Gas data, whilst others can't - maybe my BOL is better than theirs πŸ˜‚
    Simplz way too many variables. No one as yet signing from the same hymn sheet. 🌞
    Level 80
    @WizzyWigg

In fact I just went onto the DCC website to look something up....and the News link gave me this:

Name:  dccfailure.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  15.7 KB
    πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Well doesn't that speak volumes. Definite boost in confidence for the good old DCC, Not! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    Level 44
    All I can add is that the Bright app has never shown missing readings that I know of, in nearly two years that I've been using it. However, ever since usage was added to the eon-next app, gaps in recordings have been fairly common in my experience, so if one app works and the other has intermittent problems then I would have thought that it can only be down to the app.

Looking back over the last 8 months missing data only occurs for Gas, September 2023 had the last missing data until this January, so it had improved for the last 3 months of 2023.
    Level 57
    I am somewhat late to the party probably because I use the online account for account information and general handling. On the rare occasions that my IHD does not show kWh usage (esp from previous day) I will grab said metric from Bright.

However I do have the Android app installed (v1.9.0), is there a more recent all BTW? It continues to show, as it always has done, NO usage information hence I never check it and therefore find it unsatisfactory. The information contained does not list the historical meter reads that I find surprising - just the last read it seems. I continue to monitor and record my energy usage using the methods outlined in the first paragraph above.

I'm using the app on a Fire Max 11 tablet with Playstore functionality loaded.
    Level 80
    Morning @Mailman Rightly or wrongly you may not have all the services loaded on your Fire Max. I wouldn't bother installing them as they'll drain your battery in the blink of an eye πŸ˜‰.
    Level 57
    @WizzyWigg

I might try installing the app on SWMBO's android phone but decided that its just not worth the bother of trying to make the thing work properly on my Fire Max tablet as I have all the functionality I need from other sources.

FYI the Playstore and its associated apps, Account Manager, Services and Services framework are all installed and some other apps have been installed from Playstore (rather than the Amazonstore). Its no big deal not to be able to contribute.
    Level 80
    @Mailman I don't blame you about not trying to get it to work on your tablet. It's not worth the hassle.
    I've got the same setup with playstore as you have on one of my Fire tablets. πŸ‘
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

I can't add anything practical to the debate as it's all a bit moot for me not having a smart meter, but it rather annoys me that almost any app which I might possibly find useful only seems to be available for iOS or Android.

I'm an Android phone user but not through choice. Since Vodafone and EE switched off 3G ( and all the smart meters in my area) in 2022, my perfectly adequate fifteen year old Nokia featurephone was rendered useless, so I had to upgrade.

But my ecosystem has always been PC and even my tablet runs Windows. For those of us who prefer using a PC or a Windows based tablet, the lack of availability of apps is a bit of a shame. Even those apps available for PC don't usually work the same way as Android/iOS versions.

Case in point is my Victron app for interrogating my solar inverter. On the phone, it connects to the inverter via Bluetooth, and I can control everything I need to, tweak settings or whatever. I can display data but the only way I can access the data is by using 'Send to' and having to email myself a CSV file which I can then access from the PC and import into my spreadsheet or access via my own custom software. The PC version of the app has all the import and export functionality built in and I can even use OLE or DDE to access the data in real time on the fly. But to connect to the inverter, I need to use a proprietary VE bus to USB interface. So that means running a cable into the house, and connecting it to the PC or tablet via USB. Not a problem on the PC but I need to plug an OTG dongle into the tablet to connect. Yet the tablet has Bluetooth! And if you are 'wired', it kind of makes a mockery of having a 'mobile' tablet.

True interoperability just never gets considered by most app writers, but the problem definitely seems compounded by different OS versions on different platforms.

Another thing that happens with Samsung phones, incidentally, is that it's not just about which version of the app or OS that has an impact on whether an app will work or not, but which particular build of OneUI you have on the phone.

It's all a bit of a mess in my opinion, and with the very 'shaky' and erratic behaviour of the smart metering system as a whole and the non-consistent flow of data from DCC to suppliers or third parties, the whole shebang has so many possible points of failure that I have to ask myself 'is it really all worth it?'. I don't have ANY of these hassles reading my meter manually and I've been running energy tracking spreadsheets for over twenty years with no problems at all.