Undecided on E.ON Next Smart Meters?

Level 29
    @geoffers they can only introduce TOU tarrrifs for those who have a functioning smart meter - not everyone!
    So why should that stop them introducing/offering ToU tariffs globally?

It hasn't stopped then introducing ToU tariffs for EV users! (I appreciate that they are more suited to higher usage consumers such as these)

At the end of Sept 2023 there were 33.9 million smart meters installed, so even if there were 20% non-working smart meters, that still means that there are 27 million working in smart mode.

So these people would be able to take advantage of ToU tariffs - you could always opt out of taking up a ToU tariff if you didn't want it

@WizzyWigg
    ...Full 3g switch off will happen in 8 years, rendering much of the existing smart meter base useless.....
    True, but may be the Luddites amongst us 😜 are unaware that "It is the comms hubs that are to be replaced, not the smart meters themselves. These hubs are relatively low cost and simple to replace"
    Last edited by geoffers; 29-01-24 at 09:32.
    Level 81
    .........."It is the comms hubs that are to be replaced, not the smart meters themselves. These hubs are relatively low cost and simple to replace
    As a fully paid up Luddite πŸ‘΄ where are you going to find the engineers to replace these hubs. They are already way behind fitting new meters. With the incentive to fit new I can't see it happening. No perfect world yet.
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

They haven't even been able to replace all the SMETS1 non working meters yet. That should have been a priority BEFORE fitting new meters in new installations.
    @geoffers

I'm certainly not a 'Luddite' but I'm a firm believer in making sure any technology should be fully tested, working and reliable and have a proven track record before insisting we all adopt it.

I completely understand that you are a supporter of smart meters but you can not tell me that yours performs 'as advertised'. The specifications and standards fully support ToU but as you keep telling us that yours can't handle the ToU tariff correctly and your IHD can't tell you your costings accurately at different times of the day, that sort of proves my point.

The fact that you have to use Bright or need to download CSV data from Hildebrand and end up cross referencing their data against your own calculations and how EON.Next calculate your bills tells me that they are just more trouble than they are worth.

None of that malarkey would be necessary if the damn thing 'just worked as intended'.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 29
    As a fully paid up Luddite πŸ‘΄ where are you going to find the engineers to replace these hubs. They are already way behind fitting new meters. With the incentive to fit new I can't see it happening. No perfect world yet.
    I'm sure it's all part of the plan...πŸ€“

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/news-even...-connectivity/

Maybe the slower rollout of smart meters in the UK has been a saving grace, since the later installs will eventually get the 4g hub so there'll be less upgrades required.

In Europe there are 13 EU countries where the penetration rate was over 80% at the end of 2022 so presumably they're already addressing the issue.

I guess it'll initially only be people who request the upgrade who will get first dibs rather than a total upgrade, though I may be wrong.
    Last edited by geoffers; 29-01-24 at 11:11.
    Level 29
    @WizzyWigg

They haven't even been able to replace all the SMETS1 non working meters yet. That should have been a priority BEFORE fitting new meters in new installations.
    @geoffers

I'm certainly not a 'Luddite' but I'm a firm believer in making sure any technology should be fully tested, working and reliable and have a proven track record before insisting we all adopt it.

I completely understand that you are a supporter of smart meters but you can not tell me that yours performs 'as advertised'. The specifications and standards fully support ToU but as you keep telling us that yours can't handle the ToU tariff correctly and your IHD can't tell you your costings accurately at different times of the day, that sort of proves my point.

The fact that you have to use Bright or need to download CSV data from Hildebrand and end up cross referencing their data against your own calculations and how EON.Next calculate your bills tells me that they are just more trouble than they are worth.

None of that malarkey would be necessary if the damn thing 'just worked as intended'.
    I agree that it hasn't been rolled out properly, and I'm sure a free-market free-for-all is partly too blame (plus EU directives/standards etc, but let's not go down that route πŸ€“)

Trouble is the technology moves quicker than the original system design, so you'll never have a system meeting current tech - ie why didn't they design it to utilise 4g/5g, but oh dear these didn't exist then.

Or they could have used RTS, but oh dear that's being phased out next month 🀣
    Last edited by geoffers; 29-01-24 at 11:09.
    Level 81
    I'm sure it's all part of the plan...πŸ€“

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/news-even...-connectivity/

Maybe the slower rollout of smart meters in the UK has been a saving grace, since the later installs will eventually get the 4g hub so there'll be less upgrades required.

In Europe there are 13 EU countries where the penetration rate was over 80% at the end of 2022 so presumably they're already addressing the issue.

I guess it'll initially only be people who request the upgrade who will get first dibs rather than a total upgrade, though I may be wrong.
    Glad you are sure 😏, about "the plan".
    It's just a shame the plan and the real time effects are not coincidental.
    Level 81
    @WizzyWigg

Precisely. πŸ‘. By the by I'm not really a Luddite πŸ˜‚ but sometimes feel like joining them. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    Level 91
    ... By the by I'm not really a Luddite πŸ˜‚ but sometimes feel like joining them. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Good man πŸ‘... I'll put a word in for you at the next Luddite Club meeting. I'm not sure when it is but normally someone runs around everyone's houses telling us a few days before πŸ˜‚
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @geoffers

you need to discriminate between gas and electric smart meters. There are no proposals for TOU tariffs for gas that I’m aware of.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 81
    Good man πŸ‘... I'll put a word in for you at the next Luddite Club meeting. I'm not sure when it is but normally someone runs around everyone's houses telling us a few days before πŸ˜‚
    Absolutely fab. Let me know when. I've already got the outfit. πŸ˜‚
    Name:  Screenshot_20240129-173919.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  80.7 KB