Smart PAYG electric meter installed but not gas

Level 1
    I had an electric smart PAYG meter installed last year but still have an older style non-smart gas meter. I keep receiving emails to update to smart PAYG on my gas account but when I tried to book online it wouldn't work and when I called I was told I couldn't get a gas smart meter installed as their installation partner will automatically cancel any requests to install smart gas meters.

I put in a complaint about this and received the response: "If you already have an electricity smart pay as you go meter the gas SPAYG meter will not scheme to the network, unfortunately we are unable to scheme them at this moment in time but should be able to in the future and I have registered your interest to get this done, again I am sorry about any inconvenience that has been caused."

It seems unusual that I wouldn't be able to have both an electric and gas SPAYG meter when E.ON Next's own website and YouTube videos introducing SPAYG state, "Online it's easy to top up any amount of gas and electricity at the same time" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJDwffGFx8

Is it really the case that the website and videos and incorrect and SPAYG can only be on either an electric or gas meter but not both?
  • 3 Replies

Level 92
    @GeorgeP

SPAYG for dual fuel is eminently possible but suppliers like to install them both at the same time. The gas meter needs to be paired to the hub on the electric meter and it's easier to do that when the electricity meter is commissioned. No reason whatsoever why a gas meter can't be paired 'after the fact' when both meters are with the same supplier, other than needing an electricity meter tech to do the technical bits with the hub.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Community Team
    Hey @GeorgeP 👋

Welcome to the Community!

There can occasionally be some issues installing a Smart Pay As You Go meter for one fuel, especially when you have one installed for electricity already. This can be due to the make/model of the electricity meter, the way your account is set up, and whether or not we know beforehand whether we'll be able to successfully link the meters up together.

As part of the Smart Meter roll-out, we're aiming to install as many Smart Meters as possible, so I can assure you that the team will be aware of this blocker with your meter set up and a workaround will be in the pipeline to get this resolved so that you can have a Smart Gas meter fitted.

Was the outcome for your complaint just the explanation that we can't currently fit one?
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 1
    Hi @PeterT_EONNext,

Thanks for coming back to me.

Yes the outcome of the complaint was just the explanation: "If you already have an electricity smart pay as you go meter the gas SPAYG meter will not scheme to the network, unfortunately we are unable to scheme them at this moment in time but should be able to in the future and I have registered your interest to get this done, again I am sorry about any inconvenience that has been caused."

I was asked if the complaint could be marked as resolved given there was no further action that could be taken yet, to which I said yes.

Hoping whatever blockers currently exist on E.On Next's side can be resolved and I can get a smart gas meter fitted in future.

- George