Smart PAYG

Level 2
    My son’s gas and electricity are both supplied by E.on Next through standard prepayment meters and he has an online login with 2 separate accounts.
    We have contacted E.on on numerous occasions to try to arrange for smart prepayment meters to be fitted but all with no success.
    We were originally told that this would be possible but then told that unless the two accounts were merged then it wouldn’t be possible. I’ve now been told by someone in the complaints department that prepayment accounts can not be merged.
    How is someone on a standard prepayment meter supposed to get a smart prepayment meter fitted. Any ideas?
    Last edited by dshprenton; 15-12-23 at 16:18. Reason: mis spelling
  • 6 Replies

Level 91
    @dshprenton

transfer to another supplier? Eon Next has a poor record on this topic.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Community Team
    Hi @dshprenton

Welcome to the Community! 😄

I'm really sorry to hear about this, as I understand how frustrating this is 😔

If the accounts moved over from Npower/E.ON Energy, or another supplier via the Supplier of Last Resort process (when a supplier ceases trading) the account for both gas and electricity may be under separate account numbers.

We have a team that is working to combine both the gas and electricity under one account number so that a Smart Meter appointment can be booked. Until this is complete, the meters don't pair together unfortunately, so it's just not something we're able to do until the accounts have been linked.

All energy suppliers in the UK have a target to reach when booking Smart Meter appointments that you may already be aware of, so I can assure you that our Prepayment Team are working on getting the accounts that haven't yet been linked together completed, as soon as possible.

We're writing to those whose accounts will be linked once the process begins, so please make sure your son looks out for this email/letter to know when this will take place, it's at this time, that we'll also be in touch to say we're ready to book an appointment for Smart Pay As You Go Meters.
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 2
    [QUOTE=PeterT_EONNext;44182]Hi @dshprenton

If the accounts moved over from Npower/E.ON Energy, or another supplier via the Supplier of Last Resort process (when a supplier ceases trading) the account for both gas and electricity may be under separate account numbers.

We have a team that is working to combine both the gas and electricity under one account number so that a Smart Meter appointment can be booked. Until this is complete, the meters don't pair together unfortunately, so it's just not something we're able to do until the accounts have been linked.

All energy suppliers in the UK have a target to reach when booking Smart Meter appointments that you may already be aware of, so I can assure you that our Prepayment Team are working on getting the accounts that haven't yet been linked together completed, as soon as possible.

We're writing to those whose accounts will be linked once the process begins, so please make sure your son looks out for this email/letter to know when this will take place, it's at this time, that we'll also be in touch to say we're ready to book an appointment for Smart Pay As You Go Meters.[/QUOTE

Peter,

Thank you for your clear and concise response.

It’s unfortunate that advisors within Eon have not given me the same answer over the last 2 weeks including members of the complaints team who simply told me that accounts can not be merged with no further explanation.

I understand that Eon are going through a process to move people onto smart meters and you are even promoting the moves by offering credit rewards to customers who choose to move. I contacted Eon on behalf of my son as having the smart meters will enable them not only to be able to monitor their usage but also allow the accounts to be topped up online rather than having to find pay point shops to top up their cards.

Does Eon not have a priority list that people who actually want Smart meters can join rather than being placed in a queue with others who may well not want to take up the offer?
    Last edited by dshprenton; 17-12-23 at 16:22.
    Level 77
    [QUOTE=dshprenton;44282]

Hi @dshprenton

We're writing to those whose accounts will be linked once the process begins, so please make sure your son looks out for this email/letter to know when this will take place, it's at this time, that we'll also be in touch to say we're ready to book an appointment for Smart Pay As You Go Meters.[/QUOTE

Peter,

Thank you for your clear and concise response.

It’s unfortunate that advisors within Eon have not given me the same answer over the last 2 weeks including members of the complaints team who simply told me that accounts can not be merged with no further explanation.

I understand that Eon are going through a process to move people onto smart meters and you are even promoting the moves by offering credit rewards to customers who choose to move. I contacted Eon on behalf of my son as having the smart meters will enable them not only to be able to monitor their usage but also allow the accounts to be topped up online rather than having to find pay point shops to top up their cards.

Does Eon not have a priority list that people who actually want Smart meters can join rather than being placed in a queue with others who may well not want to take up the offer?
    Afternoon it looks like you might not have tagged in Peter properly. I'll tag @PeterT_EONNext in to take a look at your reply to him.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 17-12-23 at 16:52.
    Community Team
    @dshprenton Hello - Connor here 👋 I can take a look for you, we can mark the account as wanting a smart meter fitted as soon as possible. I'm going to send over a private message to grab some details from you 😀
    🌳Together we can work to achieve a more sustainable Future 🌳
    Level 2
    Connor resolved this issue for meter and new smart pay as you go meters are to be installed on the 3rd January 2024. Thanks Connor.
    Will hopefully get the £50 credit per meter applied too 😀