Demand Flexibility Service Percentage Information

View Tag Cloud
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

Trigonometry and calculus were always two of my favourite maths topics. Matrix manipulation and statistics not so much. I think I just focussed on what I needed for an engineering career. But these days, as long as I can calculate how many beans make five (a bean and a half, a bean and a half, a half a bean and a bean and a half), I'm happy enough.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

Trigonometry and calculus were always two of my favourite maths topics. Matrix manipulation and statistics not so much. I think I just focussed on what I needed for an engineering career. But these days, as long as I can calculate how many beans make five (a bean and a half, a bean and a half, a half a bean and a bean and a half), I'm happy enough.

I managed to eventually scrape a Grade C, or maybe it was a numerical equivalent back in 72/73, in O Level and called it a day as far as maths was concerned. It was enough to open some doors for me. Same with Eng. Lang. I loved physics (Grade A 🤓) and studied electrical engineering science as a brat. I found some of it difficult and a lot of it is very hazy after 50+ years. I still remember stuff like 'One over two pi route LC, equals the resonant freek-wen-see' and 'Sigma nought, sigma R, (n-1)a over d', 'Flemings L and R-hand rules'. Can't say I ever used them though.

I wonder if my course notes are still in a suitcase somewhere... just in case 🤔
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

Ah, f=1/(2π√LC) was a formula I learned as a nipper in short trews at my father's knee. Apart from my biggest passion of LEGO as a kid (and it still is half a century later) my second biggest passion was radio. From my earliest crystal sets that could get Radio Solent at a pinch, through regenerative receivers right up to complex multiband communications receivers, my favourite way of wasting an hour or two as a weaner was to wind my own coils for different wavebands. 'Guessing' the inductance of my coils was a bit hit and miss but, give or take a turn or two, I could get pretty close to what I wanted. I taught myself using the 'suck it and see' method mostly, but Dad was adament I needed to know a bit of theory too. Fourteen O Levels, three A Levels, an HND and a degree later, plus 35 years experience at the coal face, I still find the 'suck it and see' method usually works better for me.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 09-12-23 at 23:23.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

Well, you have a vast array of qualifications and experience, that's for sure. Puts me in the shade... just where I like it 😂
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

Just because I've somehow managed to convince examiners I know a few things doesn't confer any common dog! 🤣🤣🤣

Book learning tells you 415V is dangerous, but you need to accidentally put your hand across a live busbar to know exactly what it feels like in the real world 🤯
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 10-12-23 at 16:23.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

Just because I've somehow managed to convince examiners I know a few things doesn't confer any common dog! 🤣🤣🤣

Book learning tells you 415V is dangerous, but you need to accidentally put your hand across a live busbar to know exactly what it feels like in the real world 🤯

I've been across two phases and lived to tell the tale. I was nicknamed acrobat after that one 🤣.. oh, and commended for going straight back into the cabinet. The door handle also worked the interlock switch and it was necessary to stick a screwdriver in as a lever to switch the power back on to do live working. The trick is to remember to switch the power off again 🤬
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

Yup. Read that book. I once investigated a fault on a 3 phase installation in Germany. A mouse had got into the incomer cabinet through a cable duct and climbed up the board with the fuses and busbars on it. Bridging across two phases with forepaws and rear paws causes nasty burning smells and a very 'overdone' mouse 🐭
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

Another one was where I was filing some large relay contacts in a cabinet (metal file with no handle... you get the picture) when I was fresh out of training whilst my superior was doing an insulation test on the adjacent motor generator with a 500v megger. Need I say more? At least it wasn't a 1000v bridge megger 😂
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

We used to charge capacitors up with a megger and then throw them across the college lab to some poor unsuspecting 'victim' who would usually attempt to catch them, with the usual hilarious effect. Youth is wasted on the young!
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

I’ve heard tales of that but never witnessed it happening. Having had a few shocks myself I wouldn’t want to inflict one on someone else… but I’m older and supposedly more sensible now 🤔