IHD wrong after clock change

View Tag Cloud
    Level 6
    After the clock change at the end of October my IHD (Chamelon IHD3) started showing the wrong historical daily gas usage. From observation the data was resetting somewhere between 23:00 - 23:30. My heating runs until around 23:40. What was showing on the IHD for 'yesterday' was the small amount of gas used from the end of day reset until midnight. Bizarre!

Eon has reset the system several times which corrects the daily usage figures until the next end of day update, then it all goes wrong again.

Eon has told me that my IHD must be faulty and I have had to purchase an ivie Bud as a replacement but I am not convinced.

Has anyone else had the same experience?
  • 36 Replies

Level 77
    @Gwyndy
    Afternoon and welcome. I tend to find IHDs are ok as a guide rather than being totally accurate. Have you tried the Hildebrand Bright app that lots of us use? It shows your usage from the DCC. Ok, it may not be a solution but might give you something to compare.
    Level 55
    @Gwyndy

I also look at the historical usage and log what I have used (in kWh) the previous day usually via my IHD (Chameleon IHD6). As far as I can see my IHD is showing the correct daily usage resetting just after 0000. I did have a couple of days recently where my IHD did not show recorded gas usage for 2 consecutive days. How did I work out what had been used you might ask? I used my backup app from Bright. (mentioned by @WizzyWigg)

My IHD has gone back to behaving itself again so no need to check Bright the last few days. However if my IHD went fubar I'm confidant that Bright would continue to give me correct historical usage so long as my smart meters are connecting to the DCC (and henceforth to Eon Next).
    Level 6
    @WizzyWigg

Thank you. I'll certainly look at the Bright app but if, as I suspect, it is the end of day information being transmitted by the meter to the IHD then I'm not sure that this will be the answer.

I am currently 'tweaking' my heating system and I need to be able to look at reasonably accurate historical daily usage figues for my gas consumption. To give an example of what has happened recently -
    23:08 - 68.32 kWh
    23:38 - 2.78 kWh
    The latter figure is then subsequently stored as 'Yesterday' which is quite meaningless.
    The IHD has been absolutely fine for a several years until the October clock change a few weeks ago. My theory is that the meter is transmitting its end of day information to the data collection system before midnight and it is this that has started causing the confusing readings.
    I have the IHD3 and the ivie Bud (activated at last this morning) both running at the moment so it will be interesting to see what happens tonight.
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 18-11-23 at 18:18.
    Level 6
    @Mailman

Thanks - I'll see what happens this evening.
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 18-11-23 at 18:19.
    Level 28
    @Gwyndy
    Afternoon and welcome. I tend to find IHDs are ok as a guide rather than being totally accurate. Have you tried the Hildebrand Bright app that lots of us use? It shows your usage from the DCC. Ok, it may not be a solution but might give you something to compare.
    Hey @WizzyWigg -Unfortunately you can't rely 100% on the Bright app either ☹️

It'll be giving your current consumption based on GMT correctly at the moment, but unfortunately the historical cost calculations during the summer on BST (which were showing correctly before the clock changed ... ie whilst Bright's "local time" was set to UTC+1) are now being calculated based on Bright's current "local time" of UTC+0

This won't effect most people, but any Next Drive users will see the cheap-rate hour between midnight and 1 am is now being calculated at the higher rate from 11 pm to midnight.

Bright's calculations in the summer we're correct - my cost for that hour at two kilowatts was 19p (which is what EOn charged) but Bright's calculation for that hour now shows as 65p

I've currently got a ticket raised with Hildebrand to sort this...
    Last edited by geoffers; 18-11-23 at 18:29.
    Level 77
    @WizzyWigg

Thank you. I'll certainly look at the Bright app but if, as I suspect, it is the end of day information being transmitted by the meter to the IHD then I'm not sure that this will be the answer.

I am currently 'tweaking' my heating system and I need to be able to look at reasonably accurate historical daily usage figues for my gas consumption. To give an example of what has happened recently -
    23:08 - 68.32 kWh
    23:38 - 2.78 kWh
    The latter figure is then subsequently stored as 'Yesterday' which is quite meaningless.
    The IHD has been absolutely fine for a several years until the October clock change a few weeks ago. My theory is that the meter is transmitting its end of day information to the data collection system before midnight and it is this that has started causing the confusing readings.
    I have the IHD3 and the ivie Bud (activated at last this morning) both running at the moment so it will be interesting to see what happens tonight.
    Interesting. 🤔 Please keep the forum updated on the outcome. I thought, and the very learned members will correct me, that the DCC pulls the information.
    Level 28
    Interesting. 🤔 Please keep the forum updated on the outcome. I thought, and the very learned members will correct me, that the DCC pulls the information.
    There's no problem with the data from the meter/DCC - this is all based on UTC time.

It's the calculations being done internally in the Bright app which appear to be based on its local timezone setting.

Hence the cost calculations being done at the moment (GMT) are correct
    And the summertime costs were correct with the 1hr BST offset ... (I bet the winter calculations would have been incorrect then though)

Unfortunately it's not using the time zone setting which was active at the time for the calculations in the summertime - it's using it's current setting which is now GMT not BST ☹️
    Last edited by geoffers; 18-11-23 at 19:36.
    Level 6

Yes, sorry - I believe thayt it is a 'pull' not a 'push' so I think that the time is variable but one would think that it shoud be done after 00:00 GMT. I happened to be in the garage a few days ago and I noticed that the meter was in 'transmitting mode', full screen illuminated, at around 23:15.
    Level 77
    Yes, sorry - I believe thayt it is a 'pull' not a 'push' so I think that the time is variable but one would think that it shoud be done after 00:00 GMT. I happened to be in the garage a few days ago and I noticed that the meter was in 'transmitting mode', full screen illuminated, at around 23:15.
    Curiouser and curiouser 🤔. I downloaded some raw data which you can via https://www.n3rgy.com/consumer/ and since the change of the clocks shows this as collection time for me: 2023-10-30T02:00:00.000Z I assume. Reason I assume simply because I'm old fashioned and take actual readings, log them on to a spreadsheet and even submit manual readings. 👴