IHD stopped working

Level 1
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone han help me. About two weeks ago my IHD stopped working, Connecton Lost..., Waiting for data, ---- wher figures should be and one dot in the sinal strength. Its only a couple of years old and has worked fine in its current position.

I've done the usual things, switch it off, unplug, switch back on wait for 24 hours, move it to differnt locations, put it about 6ft from the meter, but it still didnt connect and gave the dot in the signal strength.

So I contacted EON next, who suggested that the IHD had stopped working and as its more than 12 months old and out of warrenty, I should replace it. They suggested an Ivie Bud.

So I bought an Ivie Bud, went through the set up so they could see the meter. switched the Ivie Bud on, it went through a couple of connections and is now sat there with '------' in the Gas and electricity amount fields and one dot in the signal strength.

Again i've moved it to nearer the meter but it makes no difference.

On my EDMI Electricity meter, both the WAN and HAN LED's flash green every 5 seconds, so this thinks its working. So I'm just wondering if something external to the property could have happened to block the signal, my postal area is S8.

Any advice would be welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
  • 8 Replies

Level 77
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone han help me. About two weeks ago my IHD stopped working, Connecton Lost..., Waiting for data, ---- wher figures should be and one dot in the sinal strength. Its only a couple of years old and has worked fine in its current position.

I've done the usual things, switch it off, unplug, switch back on wait for 24 hours, move it to differnt locations, put it about 6ft from the meter, but it still didnt connect and gave the dot in the signal strength.

So I contacted EON next, who suggested that the IHD had stopped working and as its more than 12 months old and out of warrenty, I should replace it. They suggested an Ivie Bud.

So I bought an Ivie Bud, went through the set up so they could see the meter. switched the Ivie Bud on, it went through a couple of connections and is now sat there with '------' in the Gas and electricity amount fields and one dot in the signal strength.

Again i've moved it to nearer the meter but it makes no difference.

On my EDMI Electricity meter, both the WAN and HAN LED's flash green every 5 seconds, so this thinks its working. So I'm just wondering if something external to the property could have happened to block the signal, my postal area is S8.

Any advice would be welcome.
    When you switched off your original IHD did you let the battery go flat? Then before switching back on did you move it as close as you can to the meter/ comms hub?
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 11-11-23 at 14:55. Reason: Extra information
    Level 1
    @WizzyWigg

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. It was switched off, but I cant remember if the battery was flat, but I'll try again. However, my main concern is that both my old and new IHD only show a dot for the signal strength. up to two weeks ago it would display 3/4 bars no matter where in the house it was.
    But I'll let you know how I get on.
    Thanks
    Level 77
    @WizzyWigg

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. It was switched off, but I cant remember if the battery was flat, but I'll try again. However, my main concern is that both my old and new IHD only show a dot for the signal strength. up to two weeks ago it would display 3/4 bars no matter where in the house it was.
    But I'll let you know how I get on.
    Thanks
    I might get the @theunknowntech to have a look at your thread the next time he passes. From what you said about the HAN and WAN lights it looks like your IHD had crashed. In respect of the Ivie Bud my knowledge is next to nothing. Try letting the battery go flat completely in the original IHD then move it as close to the comms hub you can. The closer the better.
    Level 1
    @WizzyWigg
    Hi, Sorry for the delay, I was amazed how difficult it was to get the battery flat., eventually I got it to the point where if you tried switching it on none of the three traffic lights at the bottom lit up, so I assumed it was flat. So I placed it about a foot from the meter and left it. It has now been a day since then and its back to a dot in the signal strength and Connection lost, like in the picture. Have you any more suggestions?
    Thanks for your help
    Level 91
    @woody1957

I'll have my say then but out.

It seems to me that if the problem affects both IHDs in the same manner, then the problem lies in some aspect of the communications hub, not everything just the HAN broadcast.. I doubt that Eon Next will be remotely interested in foxing that, so long as the meter itself still functions and readings are available. Its one of the aspects where the slick ads are not lived up to in practice
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 78
    I think in this case, the best fix would be a Comms Hub reboot or power cycle. That'll require an engineer visit if it won't respond to remote commands.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 77
    @WizzyWigg
    Hi, Sorry for the delay, I was amazed how difficult it was to get the battery flat., eventually I got it to the point where if you tried switching it on none of the three traffic lights at the bottom lit up, so I assumed it was flat. So I placed it about a foot from the meter and left it. It has now been a day since then and its back to a dot in the signal strength and Connection lost, like in the picture. Have you any more suggestions?
    Thanks for your help
    Evening. I apologise for my late response. I had my fingers crossed hoping that this would produce the solution. @theunknowntech is the expert and it looks like there's a bit more to it. The only problem is getting someone from Eon Next to resolve your problem if your meters can produce readings. With the information you have now you can always try. I will cross fingers again but not hold breath. 🤞