Smart meter readings.

Level 1
    The reading on smart meter show less usage and spend compared to my bill. Is this normal as it is not helping with my usage of energy and I am spending more than expected.
  • 6 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 91
    Best Answer
    @Thefoll

Although the In-House Display (IHD) is a handy little device, it is only a guide to usage and cost. That said, I find mine fairly accurate. My statements run from the 6th of the month whilst the IHD history uses calendar months so an exact comparison of usage cannot be made. Over the course of a year however, the amount consumed according to the IHD closely matches what I’ve been billed for.

If you have both gas and electric smart meters make sure the usage and cost for both fuels is displayed in order to get the full info.

If you check your tariff rates on the IHD and find they are incorrect you can send an email entitled Smart Meter and IHD Tariff Update Request to hi@eonnext.com and put your account and personal details in the body of the text.

If you can be more specific about what the dates and readings are on the IHD and statement then perhaps we can narrow down our advice and suggestions.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 77
    @Thefoll Afternoon and welcome. Have you checked the end meter readings on your bill with the actual readings on your meters? Not your IHD. Are they comparable? Also look back at your previous bill at the end readings to see if they are the same as the start readings on your current one. IHDs are useful gadgets as guides but not always accurate.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 07-11-23 at 17:57. Reason: Spelling mistake
    Level 55
    The reading on smart meter show less usage and spend compared to my bill. Is this normal as it is not helping with my usage of energy and I am spending more than expected.

Are you talking about the IHD device perchance?

You need to compare the meter reading used on your bill/statement with what your meter(s) is/are currently showing. My IHD even shows the current meter readings as well. I'd be surprised if the bill is incorrect as it uses the tariff rates for your utilities plus your meter reads (or rather the differences between your latest bill and the previous one). If your bill meter readings are estimated rather than smart then I can see why there is this discrepancy. If your readings were smart then unfortunately the IHD might not be showing the £ cost correctly (I know mine doesn't). 👍
    Level 1
    @JoeSoap Thanks Joe, I have liased with EON and they had not updated my smart meter with my new plan. Unfortunately its giving correct readings... 🤣Way more expensive than my last plan.
    Level 92
    @Thefoll

The smart meters will be accurately recording energy use. The tariff shown on your IHD, and the £ figure is somewhat irrelevant as you will be billed to the tariff you have signed up to, not what the IHD says.

In an ideal world, the correct tariff and £ will be displayed, and updates shouldn't be a problem, but it's not an ideal world.

But you will be paying according to your agreed tariff, not what the IHD says...I promise.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @Thefoll

Ah, so by the sounds of it you have had tariff updates applied successfully now but the true costs are more than the incorrect ones that were showing. If I’m right then it’s good news it’s all correct now but there’s always a sting in the tail 😂