Make-do and Mend

View Tag Cloud
    Level 81
    There are a few to choose from. I chose a company called AlphaOmega. I put my email address, photo of broken specs and description of make, model, material (as best I could) into their website portal and got an immediate acknowledgment with a reference number. Being impatient, I phoned them immediately with my reference number and the lady took the photo straight to a technician who said they could fix them and gave me the fixed price quote for a titanium frame repair. The price includes a general reconditioning of the frame.

Back to the website where I filled in the order form and paid the fee. Then simply print the receipt and put a copy in the box with the bubble-wrapped specs. Off to the local post office and job done. It took me around an hour from start to finish and was so easy even I did it with a minimum of stress ๐Ÿ˜‚.

I think these people could fix almost any frame and mostly on the day they receive them. I'm a satisfied customer ๐Ÿ‘“
    It's a dying art. Frame repairing. We live in a very disposable, fashion orientated society. You found a good chappie there. He's not a million miles from me. Just over the border ๐Ÿ˜‚. I'm trying to find out who trained him or where he trained. Frame repairing isn't something one suddenly fancies having a go at. As I said it's an art, with a smoothing of science. ๐Ÿค“ Saying all that he's been doing it for 29 years. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 04-11-23 at 11:28. Reason: Spelling mistake
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

Iโ€™m not sure how big a company it is but more than a one man band for sure.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 81
    @WizzyWigg

Iโ€™m not sure how big a company it is but more than a one man band for sure.
    Yep I know ๐Ÿ˜‰. I was thinking about the director owner, chief technician.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 04-11-23 at 12:31. Reason: Extra information
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

I'm lucky that off-the-shelf readers do the job for me. But ยฃ2.99 is still a bit pricey to be honest. I was in the local hardware shop this morning looking for a few items to carry out some storm-damage repairs and spotted they had readers for ยฃ1.69. I tried a pair of 2.5 and yes, I could read well enough but you could also see the stresses in the edge of the cheap polycarbonate lenses and the slight rainbow fringing at the edges. So going too cheap is not a good idea. So it's the ยฃ2.99 ones for me but to make them last longer, I'll peer over the top of them as often as I can so I don't wear them out so quickly ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    I'll peer over the top of them as often as I can so I don't wear them out so quickly ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

What a great idea. You think of everything ๐Ÿคฃ
    Community Team
    It's funny you named your thread Make do and Mend @JoeSoap as I was actually thinking about this today, how we don't repair things anymore. I have a box of broken junk waiting to be repaired, I feel like I'm just hoarding it at this point though as it's sat there so long! It's on my very long to do list ๐Ÿ˜‚
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca ๐ŸŒณ

Looking for the latest price cap information? Visit this thread Ofgem energy price cap 1 July 2024 - How will this affect my E.ON Next tariff?
    Level 91
    @DebF_EONNext

I spent most of my life fixing things, both for a living and at home. I had my first car at 17 (Mk1 Cortina) and donโ€™t think I ever took one to a garage in my first 20 years of motoring. I had completely stripped and reconditioned two engines before I was twentyโ€ฆ try telling that to the kids of today ๐Ÿ˜‚. That said, theyโ€™re too complicated for me now so I hardly touch them.

For my first ten years of marriage I fixed all our domestic appliances. My favourite shop sold spares for washing machines etc. It was like a sweet shop. I went in once with a broken cog wheel from an old Kenwood Chef food mixer thinking this is a long shot. The guy just nodded, turned around and picked one out of one of the sweet jars on the shelf ๐Ÿ˜‚

Only yesterday I got my Araldite out to mend an ornament but have to say I donโ€™t do so much fixing now. Car goes to garage, maintenance contracts for household stuff etc.

I bet nobody darns socks any more ๐Ÿ˜‚ โ€ฆ or do they ๐Ÿค”
    Community Team
    I bet nobody darns socks any more ๐Ÿ˜‚ โ€ฆ or do they ๐Ÿค”

Well @JoeSoap my daughter does, it's her job ๐Ÿ˜€ She's a mender at a knitwear factory and her job is exactly that she 'mends' woolen socks and what not that perhaps have a dropped stitch or a tiny hole etc before they are shipped out, it's a skill I definitely don't have ๐Ÿ˜†

You know they don't teach those life skills in schools now it's all about tech and the modern world which is a shame really. Right up until around 10 years ago my Grandad was a mender, I swear his washing machine was about 30 (certainly looked that way ๐Ÿ‘€) but he would never buy new and somehow always knew how to fix it without a manual.

At 91 years young, I have finally managed to get him to treat himself to some new appliances, we started small ๐Ÿ˜… I bought him one of those one cup kettles as he was struggling to lift a full kettle and he has finally seen the light!

On the new appliances note how is the slow cooking going? It's the perfect time of year for it!