Smart meter - no gas display.

View Tag Cloud
    Level 3
    Hello everyone,

This is my first posting here & I apologize up front for a small moan but maybe share some thoughts on the problem.

Like many others, I seem to have fallen foul to the missing 'gas' display part on the 'In House Display'. I noticed this few days ago and have tried the usual reboot and then moving the IHD closer to both the electric and gas meters. No joy. My unit is the old Duet II from nPower days and is about 6 years old. It has worked perfectly all that time until recently. EON customer services says that as it's over a year old & out of warranty, I may have to source an alternative myself (around £60) to which end they gave me the 'ivie' website to investigate. Did this and their offering won't work at my postcode. As far as I know, new customers signing up to EON get their Smart system supplied & installed for free.

Now it could be that the recent round of price changes are to blame & eventually it will sort itself out. Who knows. Also, as it appears to be the old SMETS1 setup, I assume it'll stop working at some point anyway. Ironically, when the Duet II was working, it was great and gave me all the information I wanted.

On checking the Trilliant box connected to my electric meter, it shows green WAN & PWR led's on with the HAN one flashing red every second. Could be relevant?

Oh yes, if I hadn't contacted EON, I wouldn't have been made aware of the 'Next Winter Support Fixed 25' tariff which gives me 25% reduction on my DD, via reduced unit prices, until the end of March 2024.

On a slightly more positive note, I was informed the problem would be passed to the appropriate team to try and arrange an engineer visit. We shall see..

I've come full circle. I'm going back to giving readings myself from the actual meters online once a month to avoid any nasty estimated bills. If anything changes, I'll post an update.
  • 15 Replies

Level 91
    @SmoothJazz

The HAN flashing red would certainly be relevant as that's the Home Area Network. If you could just post some photos of your meters, comms hub (the thing with the HAN/WAN lights etc.) and your IHD then perhaps a couple of our expert volunteers, @retrotecchie and @theunknowntech, may be able to advise.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 78
    I'm still trying to get a user manual for Trilliant comms hubs. Getting hold of the S2 Flonidan user manuals was easier than this!

As far as I know however, your HAN is probably dead. That requires deeper investigation than what I'm allowed to do unfortunately
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    I to have fallen foul of the gas going missing suddenly from the smart meter. Rang Eon next to be told it’s out of warranty ,as yours is ,and would have to purchase one (an ivie IHD which was recommended is not compatible with our gas meter -( checked online),they then recommended the app which we downloaded, but still it won’t connect to gas.) Eon said the old meter (as ours is SMETS1)are gradually being updated with a new sim which is why it’s now stopped working. Crazy how they promote having a smart meter - which we think is great , and is why we got onboard with it at an early stage, to now find we’ve gone back to the dark days of scrabbling around reading the meter!! Really not happy!
    Level 3
    Hello everyone,

Cheers JoeSoap for the feedback.

I agree that there maybe an issue with the HAN in which it may turn out to an intermittent problem or with luck, the unit updating itself - see below. On checking the Trilliant again, the HAN led has now changed to flashing green every second and I assume this is how it's supposed to work.

Originally I just disconnected the IHD, put in the cupboard, forgot about it and concentrated on the meters for actual readings.

So, I dug out the IHD, powered it up and initially no gas information displayed (groan). Left it for a few hours and bingo, the gas data returned. This is with the HAN led flashing green every second. However, the IHD is still showing the old (incorrect) unit prices for both gas & electric. I checked my account online & it shows the new (correct) tariff. Hopefully the tariff on the IHD will sort itself out.

Anyway, over the weekend the gas display went awol again and the flashing red HAN led returned! I'll check it out again in the next few days..

I'm beginning to think that I've either got that intermittent problem or if I'm lucky, this whole issue is down to the raft of prices changes that have been going on and it's taking time to get all the kit updated. I certainly hope that it's the latter.

I'll update if anything changes.
    Level 28
    However, the IHD is still showing the old (incorrect) unit prices for both gas & electric. I checked my account online & it shows the new (correct) tariff. Hopefully the tariff on the IHD will sort itself out. .
    @SmoothJazz - the IHD picks the tariff rates up from the meter.

So although at the EOn end the tariff rates are correct in your account, if the meter hasn't been updated with correct rates they won't show on your IHD, so you can only rely on it for your kWH energy usage, not costs.

I've tried to get EOn to upload the correct rates to my meter with no success, so I use the Bright app for true cost (This also picks the incorrect rate up from the meter, but you can override this by entering your own rates - in my case this is a ToU tariff with cheap overnight electricity)
    Level 91
    @SmoothJazz

To get tariff updates send an email entitled Smart Meter/IHD Tariff Update Request to hi@eonnext.com asking for both meters to be updated. Put your personal details and account number in the main body of the text too.

Hopefully the HAN will come good in the end.
    Level 3
    Hello everyone,
    First, thanks JoeSoap for the advice re getting the Smart Meter/IHD Tariff updated. I emailed E.On and yes, my meter was updated but only the electric tariff. I know this because over the last few days, I've rebooted the IHD a few times and at the moment anyway, the missing gas display has returned. Checking the Trilliant unit shows the HAN LED flashing green every second, I assume that's normal. So some progress. Now all I need to get sorted is the gas tariff on the IHD to be correct. Oh yes, thanks geoffers for the info re the tariff rates & kWh energy usage on meters/IHD. Handy to know.
    Level 91
    @SmoothJazz

Some good news 👍 Just keep the email trail going and ask again to have your gas tariff updated whilst you know the meter is communicating. I'm sure you won't have the same trouble I had 😂

https://community.eonnext.com/thread...ll=1#post35601
    Community Team
    @SmoothJazz Its great to see some good news regarding your issue. Pop back and update us regarding the gas tariff on the IHD if you can 😀
    🌳Together we can work to achieve a more sustainable Future 🌳