Worried About My Account Now - reversed account charge credit

Level 5
    @retrotecchie

The PDFs show the charges in detail (dates/breakdown), and show the same £12.43 for 16th May - 30th June and £25.48 for 1st July - 23rd September.

I don't know why all these Gas charges dating back to May have been added back on when I already paid them. I've been corresponding back and forth with E.ON for nearly 2 weeks and haven't got any explanation yet.
    Last edited by cambsguy; 20-10-23 at 08:01.
    Level 91
    @cambsguy

the standing charges having been reversed have now been reimposed - that is the root of the issue. If you use any gas at all the standing charges apply. If you want the gas disconnected there is a charge for that but at least in the long term the standing charges end. Why are you currently using little or no gas, and will that continue to be the case long term? Will future occupants need gas once again?
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    @meldrewreborn

On October 6th I emailed about gas standing charges after seeing this on the website:

Name:  capture_001_20102023_091228.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  20.2 KB

A few hours later I got this reply to my enquiry:

Hello,
    Good News! I have removed the Gas Standing Charges from the Account and it is all up to date.
    Regards,
    **** (name removed)

Well, I give up, terrible terrible service from e.on.
    Community Team
    Morning @cambsguy 😊

Hannah here 👋 - all confusing stuff I get it! Thank you to the fellow members for giving advice and explaining things 😊.
    It seems as though the gas standing charges have been removed, but the account is still needing to catch up with this change / this needs to be the case going forward.
    @meldrewreborn raised a great question - would you want to remove the gas meter completely, or will it be needed in the future? If we do remove the meter for you (£148.32) then it would be completely off the bill and you will never have a gas charge. Is this something you want to look into?
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Level 5
    No, I dont think it would be a good idea to have the gas meter removed completely right now, plus £148.32 is about a year and a half's worth of gas standing charge.

So how do we ensure that the account catches up with the gas standing charge credit? Is this something you can do?
    Community Team
    Hi @cambsguy

Completely understand that! Just let us know if you ever want to explore that.

It looks like the standing charges was removed at the start, but its not rolling if that makes sense? So going forward its back on there. Get back in touch with the Energy Speciaist you were talking to and explain they are on there again and they will be able to sort that out for you 😊.
    Level 5
    @Han_EONNext

Hi, ive been corresponding back and forth for the past two weeks and haven't got anywhere or resolved anything at all. 😐
    Level 91
    @cambsguy

So you want to be able to use gas in the future but not pay the standing charge now.

Personally I think any waiver of the standing charge for nil consumption should be limited to 2 months in any 12 month period. The network still has to be there, and your account still needs to be maintained, and you will expect to get the gas back on again whenever you wish.

The Eon statement on waiving the standing charge only says you "may be eligible to have the standing charge removed". It doesn't say for how long or how often - but if you are billed monthly then you might have to call them monthly. The wording leaves it entirely up to Eon Next how to apply this waiver, and you have no real basis to query their decisions. However to ensure consistency between customers it would be better if the guiding principles were published
    Last edited by Han_EONNext; 20-10-23 at 12:04. Reason: Remove last sentence as it could start an argument - meldrew DM
    Level 56

It looks like the standing charges was removed at the start, but its not rolling if that makes sense? So going forward its back on there. Get back in touch with the Energy Speciaist you were talking to and explain they are on there again and they will be able to sort that out for you 😊.

Reading between the lines of your post, the OP has to make contact with Eon Next customer services every month (to have the bills manually corrected), confirming the meter reads have not incremented (if non-smart), and to request removal of standing charges otherwise the system will automatically bill for standing charges.
    Level 5
    Trust me, you really don't want to be in my "position" as you put it. Two weeks ago I made a simple enquiry to E.ON based on information they themselves provide to customers on their own website.
    Last edited by Han_EONNext; 20-10-23 at 12:19.