Estimated Annual Consumption Over the Years

• Tags for this Thread
  • usage
View Tag Cloud
    Level 56
    I seem to recall that the EAC isnโ€™ a supplier calculation but comes via an industry wide algorithm. If so itโ€™s not something that the suppliers can manipulate to their advantage.

The electricity EAC appears to be the responsibilty of the Data Collector used by the energy supplier as per earlier post if you follow the elexon link referenced within it.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap @Mailman @WizzyWigg

My EAC was 2257 in April, then Jun & Jul. 2000, Aug 1972 and Sep 1988.

It seems there is some correlation to my rolling year consumption figure, but with some other tweaks thrown in - like why is Sep up on august?

My guess was way out then. Your EAC is in the ball park.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @Mailman

Thank you - I think! ๐Ÿค•

That document is incredibly difficult to understand and would tax even the most nerdy amongst us. It also describes the data uses at all levels in the supply system but doesn't concentrate on individual consumers or meter point - and so while it's probably vital in industry terms, it's absolutely useless for virtually all consumers.

Reading elsewhere suggests that frequent / regular meter readings help keep the final EAC as accurate as possible, that data errors do occur but are difficult/impossible to correct, and that OFGEM requires suppliers to base monthly fixed Direct Debit amounts on an accurate and reasonable basis - which obviously could mean not on the supplied EAC when appropriate. Where the reported EAC does not reflect reality for the individual customers then it should be challenged vigorously. Its up to Suppliers to set Direct Debits reasonably in relation to known facts.
    Level 56
    @Mailman

Thank you - I think! ๐Ÿค•

That document is incredibly difficult to understand and would tax even the most nerdy amongst us. It also describes the data uses at all levels in the supply system but doesn't concentrate on individual consumers or meter point - and so while it's probably vital in industry terms, it's absolutely useless for virtually all consumers.

Reading elsewhere suggests that frequent / regular meter readings help keep the final EAC as accurate as possible, that data errors do occur but are difficult/impossible to correct, and that OFGEM requires suppliers to base monthly fixed Direct Debit amounts on an accurate and reasonable basis - which obviously could mean not on the supplied EAC when appropriate. Where the reported EAC does not reflect reality for the individual customers then it should be challenged vigorously. Its up to Suppliers to set Direct Debits reasonably in relation to known facts.

I think you have summed it up correctly.๐Ÿ‘
    Level 91
    I think you have summed it up correctly.๐Ÿ‘

So when will the jury render its verdict. Iโ€™m ready to pass sentence in the event of a guilty verdict.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but Iโ€™ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 56
    So when will the jury render its verdict. Iโ€™m ready to pass sentence in the event of a guilty verdict.

If I was Scottish (which I am on my mother's side) I think the verdict would be 'Not Proven' ๐Ÿ˜„
    Level 91
    @Mailman

I think the EAC system for consumers is not fit for purpose.
    Level 91
    Tonight's the night. I'm going to switch the fridge off and see what happens to the overnight consumption. The fridge is a nice colour and matches the washing machine so I don't think I'll be allowed to ditch it if I can't find a new one the same colour ๐Ÿ˜‚
    Level 56
    Tonight's the night. I'm going to switch the fridge off and see what happens to the overnight consumption. The fridge is a nice colour and matches the washing machine so I don't think I'll be allowed to ditch it if I can't find a new one the same colour ๐Ÿ˜‚

When you wrote 'tonight's the night' all sorts of things were going through my mine - glad you were talking about the fridge. ๐Ÿ˜„

Do you not have a working IHD that you can check the 'usage now' function? Wait until you hear the compressor going, record that wattage number then turn the thing off and see how much your baseline has dropped and there is your draw at full compressor usage. Repeat when the fridge is on but compressor off so you know the power draw on/off. Then you need to check that, when switched on, the compressor is not stuck in the 'on cycle'. At least then you will have an idea of the draw just on the 'problem fridge'. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Have you checked the manufactures energy fiche for this fridge?
    Level 91
    When you wrote 'tonight's the night' all sorts of things were going through my mine - glad you were talking about the fridge. ๐Ÿ˜„

Do you not have a working IHD that you can check the 'usage now' function? Wait until you hear the compressor going, record that wattage number then turn the thing off and see how much your baseline has dropped and there is your draw at full compressor usage. Repeat when the fridge is on but compressor off so you know the power draw on/off. Then you need to check that, when switched on, the compressor is not stuck in the 'on cycle'. At least then you will have an idea of the draw just on the 'problem fridge'. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Have you checked the manufactures energy fiche for this fridge?

Similar thoughts went through my mind when I typed the first three words ๐Ÿ˜‚

I do have a working IHD. There are a few checks I can carry out but wanted to try this one first. It takes almost no effort and causes very little inconvenience. Baseline consumption between midnight and 7am is very stable at around 0.21kWh every hour so it will be interesting to see if that changes significantly overnight tonight. I will look at how live consumption changes when I switch on in the morning then decide if I have to do any more tests.

Exciting ๐Ÿ˜‚