Estimated Annual Consumption Over the Years

• Tags for this Thread
  • usage
View Tag Cloud
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

My whole house uses that (7kWh) on average in a day. That's a fridge, an upright freezer and an upright fridge freezer plus all the other stuff including tumble drier and electric cooking. If just a fridge cost that amount of energy to run, it would work out cheaper to do the 6 miles a day to the nearest garage and just buy fresh every day and not bother with a fridge!

Maybe the 'standard' they used in the website calculator was a double door American style 'drive thru' fridge freezer with icemaker and drinks cooler?!

And 94p for 24 hours use of a desktop computer? I have a 'desktop computer' that will run for a week for 94p. I have one that will use Β£3 of electricity in 8 hours if it's running something complex. There's a lot of difference between a dual core Intel Atom with integrated graphics and eMMC storage versus a 32 core Quad Xeon with 64 Gb of RAM and 24TB of RAID HDD storage driving 4 monitors!

Unless they specify the ratings, and the figures they use per kWh....their numbers are purely relative. But to what!!

Yes, I saw the desktop computer estimate. I also note they must be rating a slow cooker at about 700w and take no account of thermostats. My 2kW electric oven element kicks in for about a third of the time when I’m cooking on low so that would cost about what they say a slow cooker would per hour.

Who would ever link to such a misleading website as that? πŸ€”πŸ˜‰πŸ€£
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    You would have made a wonderful Beta Tester πŸ˜‚.

I’m starting to believe you. You just linked that website as a joke to get me going I think πŸ˜‚
    Level 81
    I’m starting to believe you. You just linked that website as a joke to get me going I think πŸ˜‚
    Now would I have even thought of doing that πŸ˜‰. You've certainly passed the first test 🀣. A ⭐.
    Level 91
    Now would I have even thought of doing that πŸ˜‰...

In a word... Yes 😜
    Level 81
    In a word... Yes 😜
    Ooo, well, mmmm. 😢. Moi! I still think you would have been perfect for the job. πŸ˜‰
    Level 91
    I've got the house to myself for an hour so, just for 'fun', I switched off the fridges and freezers to kill the intermittent power users. I then shut down the desktop PC and monitor and wiped 32w off the 'Consumption Now' on the IHD. Switching off the power to the whole lot (PC, monitor, speakers and printer) took another 8w away so the whole lot burns 40w. If I left it all on for 24 hours it would cost around 30p. We used to leave it on overnight but now I save 32w for the 12 hours it's shut down for. That's about Β£3.60 per month. The TV that now gets switched off at the mains (because it's easy) saves another 70p per month. So by just doing those two easy things I save over Β£50 per year.

I can appreciate why people kill everything they can when not in use. If I lived alone I could certainly wipe the same again off my bill, maybe more, by doing that. It really is food for thought but for now I still think I'll choose the easy life by not becoming too unpopular to live with πŸ˜‚
    Level 57
    I've got the house to myself for an hour so, just for 'fun', I switched off the fridges and freezers to kill the intermittent power users. I then shut down the desktop PC and monitor and wiped 32w off the 'Consumption Now' on the IHD. Switching off the power to the whole lot (PC, monitor, speakers and printer) took another 8w away so the whole lot burns 40w. If I left it all on for 24 hours it would cost around 30p. We used to leave it on overnight but now I save 32w for the 12 hours it's shut down for. That's about Β£3.60 per month. The TV that now gets switched off at the mains (because it's easy) saves another 70p per month. So by just doing those two easy things I save over Β£50 per year.

I can appreciate why people kill everything they can when not in use. If I lived alone I could certainly wipe the same again off my bill, maybe more, by doing that. It really is food for thought but for now I still think I'll choose the easy life by not becoming too unpopular to live with πŸ˜‚

If you get too unpopular you might get the house for more than an hour 🀣

Maybe its a generational thing and/or something that is irrelevant to those not paying the actual energy bill. Who knows?

TBH though it keeps me 'on top of things' in a way that never happened 5 years ago. My wife has grasped the baton of energy saving almost as much as I have so that is a big plus and makes it all feel part of our 'new' routine. Talking about food for thought, the other day 3 loaves and a tray of muffins went into the oven (nothing to do with me) when it had a rare outing yet just a few years ago these would have been done singly as and when needed. Them muffins were way better than the supermarket stuff. πŸ˜‰
    Level 91
    If you get too unpopular you might get the house for more than an hour 🀣

More like not be able to get in the house at all πŸ˜‚
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

When I had teenogres in the house, I found sub-metering their bedrooms and setting an energy budget then docking their allowance for excess consumption soon made them realise that someone has to pay the bills.

I'm sure that the older one would have realised that he could run an extension lead from the landing and 'bypass the system' so I rewired their bedroom sockets with BS546 and put round pin plugs on all their electrical tackle.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

When I had teenogres in the house, I found sub-metering their bedrooms and setting an energy budget then docking their allowance for excess consumption soon made them realise that someone has to pay the bills.

I'm sure that the older one would have realised that he could run an extension lead from the landing and 'bypass the system' so I rewired their bedroom sockets with BS546 and put round pin plugs on all their electrical tackle.

Haha... needs must...

I think I'm giving the wrong impression here though. The family are pretty good with energy consumption tbh although I know my bills are a lot higher than most regular contributors. We've done a lot over the last year or two to reduce consumption but to continue with the reduction would mean asking them to scrabble about behind the tellies and computer last thing at night and first thing in the morning. I would probably do it to save a few more quid a month but I don't want to be a meanie and ask them. See, I'm a big softie πŸ˜‚.

The low hanging fruit has been picked so as long as we maintain the savings then I'll be happy enough 😊