Energy Shift Winter 2023/2024

Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

With over £5 showing on the IHD before 11am this morning I really wonder if it's worth any effort at all for me to save a pound or two now and again. I guess I must enjoy the challenge 🤔

Well done on your energy reduction. Was it exactly 26.51% or did you just round it off 😂
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 57
    The rewards for the first energy event should be much easier to verify than they were last year with the capricious in-day adjustment used last winter. Gathering data from Bright gives you the accurate data you need for each HH comparison session for the baseline calculation. If you have reasonable spreadsheet skills this should be quite easy to do. The first event (29th November) appeared to be a guaranteed £3/kWh reduction. I'd love to be able to check but was not onboard for either event so far but it appears that reports are arriving that people are being rewarded. Whether the numbers are actually correct? I have no idea. You either trust Eon next to have done it correctly OR you do your own calculations, run them by folk in this forum to check maybe and then complain if you think that Eon Next have made a mistake.
    Level 91
    I failed with just a 4% reduction. We’re usually in the house at this time, but we were out at the time of this event. I switched off lots of electrical items and unplugged them, removed chargers etc. While out the lights were all off and the heating is gas powered. So I’m not sure what else we could have done to reduce. Even if the comparison and target for a December evening was set against a warmer and lighter day September or October, I can’t see it would make a difference.

Which makes me think the effort to reduce power usage isn’t really worthwhile for such a small impact. I’m probably missing the point.

I guess if I wanted to reduce further I could switch off the fridge and freezer

Maybe you just haven't consumed much anyway in that window over the last 8 days so making it very hard to reduce anything. If your lights are LEDs then it wouldn't save much by switching them off and the same with chargers of course.
    Level 80
    @WizzyWigg
    ......Well done on your energy reduction. Was it exactly 26.51% or did you just round it off 😂
    Sure did round it off. 😂 It was 26.512% 😀
    Level 1
    Maybe you just haven't consumed much anyway in that window over the last 8 days so making it very hard to reduce anything. If your lights are LEDs then it wouldn't save much by switching them off and the same with chargers of course.

We’ve probably used more power since clocks went back than before, though mainly just lights, which wouldn’t be huge as you say. I think this is where my question comes of are we supposed to reduce by 20%? It all feels a bit pointless in our case anyway. I can’t imagine we are that unique a customer or user either.
    Level 91
    Don't include the data from Wednesday😁 as event days are excluded.

Ok, I’ve just looked again at both events and made some calculations counting the previous 8 days whilst ignoring the event days.

Friday’s event…

Average of previous 8 days was 1.15kWh

Actual during event was 0.51kWh

Saving of 0.64kWh

Expected award @ £3/kWh = £1.92p

Wednesday’s event…

Average of previous 8 days was 1.22kWh

Actual during event was 0.53kWh

Saving of 0.69kWh

Expected award @ £3/kWh = £2.07p

Total expected = £3.99p

All worked out quickly on Bright app but not double checked for accuracy.

I now await to see what eon next makes of my efforts 🤞…

… and here they are…

https://community.eonnext.com/thread...ll=1#post43532
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 04-12-23 at 22:15. Reason: Got days confused
    Level 57
    @JoeSoap

Seeing as you have done all this splendid mathematical work, perhaps you might like to factor in days 9 and 10 (D-9 and D-10) just in case someone in the DFS team has typed in the wrong number in the email 🤣. BTW I hope you ignored the weekend numbers as it needs to be weekdays only and ignore any previous event days. 🧐 Then see what the difference is and which one is closest to your calculations. Probably make little or no difference unless you were doing a pyro oven clean on D-9/D-10.

Re the 1st December event, the utilisation prices submitted by Eon Next and accepted by NGESO are all over the place so I have absolutely no idea what the reward/kWh reduction will be for Eon Next (or for other participants for that matter). But going with a £3/kWh number would seem very sensible and if the total reward ends up being greater then £3.99 you won't feel cheated. 😁
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

Seeing as you have done all this splendid mathematical work, perhaps you might like to factor in days 9 and 10 (D-9 and D-10) just in case someone in the DFS team has typed in the wrong number in the email 🤣. BTW I hope you ignored the weekend numbers as it needs to be weekdays only and ignore any previous event days. 🧐 Then see what the difference is and which one is closest to your calculations. Probably make little or no difference unless you were doing a pyro oven clean on D-9/D-10.

Re the 1st December event, the utilisation prices submitted by Eon Next and accepted by NGESO are all over the place so I have absolutely no idea what the reward/kWh reduction will be for Eon Next (or for other participants for that matter). But going with a £3/kWh number would seem very sensible and if the total reward ends up being greater then £3.99 you won't feel cheated. 😁

Aaaaargh... I don't want to do it all again 😭

The blurb says 8 days and not working days. I guess I'll have to recalculate after the results come in to see how they arrive at their figure... if there is a figure that is 🤔😂