"Smart" meters & EV tariff

View Tag Cloud
    Level 92
    @geoffers

Most people find that the electricity statement is usually very prompt and timely. Certainly I submit my readings and the statement is always available same day. I don't have gas myself, but oftentimes gas customers sometimes have a slight delay as they have to apply volume adjustments and calorific value tweaks to 'provisional' bills.

I suspect that the Next Drive tariffs are still somewhat in 'beta' so it may take a bit more shuffling around in the back end to make sure the correct ToU data is not only applied to the billing, but the data parsed to the template that generates the PDF statement is both accurate and covers all the bases. Now, if I was the developer at the back end, I would have already had the software sandboxed, tested and debugged before going from 'beta' to 'production', but I'm guessing that the reverse happened. They rolled out the tariff and the tech bods are trying to make the magic happen after the fact. It is often thus, in many industries. I've been guilty of it myself in the past. I could be wrong, but I know the game only too well to know that these things happen.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 81
    @geoffers

.............. Now, if I was the developer at the back end, I would have already had the software sandboxed, tested and debugged before going from 'beta' to 'production' ......
    You are showing your age and of course experience 😂. Only seems to happen in your dreams nowadays. 🤔
    Level 29
    You are showing your age and of course experience 😂. Only seems to happen in your dreams nowadays. 🤔
    I too will be giving away my age 🤣 - first computing experience was an ICL1900 mainframe (George OS?) punching Fortran code onto 80 character punch cards!!!
    Level 81
    I too will be giving away my age 🤣 - first computing experience was an ICL1900 mainframe (George OS?) punching Fortran code onto 80 character punch cards!!!
    Algol was my first and Fortran second language with a soupcon of Assembler x86 when 8086 processors arrived. Only as a hobbyist. 😂
    Level 92
    @geoffers

I started my programming journey by hand coding on programming sheets which were then sent to Portsmouth Polytechnic where the sheets were then transcribed to punch cards by hand. These were then batch processed and a week later I'd get the results back on a spool of paper tape.

I had access to a tape reader so could decode the tape and then write the output onto another sheet of paper. A simple program to load two values, do something with them and then store the result in another variable ended up with half a rainforest of paper sheets, cards and tapes in a ring binder. I would have laughed at anyone telling me that computers would eventually lead to 'the paperless office'. Half a century later....things have only marginally improved. Smaller, lighter, faster and less energy intensive, but I'm still using paper. 🤣🤣🤣

I never played with FORTRAN but CESIL, Pascal and even COBOL still give me the hab-dabs when I recall the early years of computer programming and how much of a palaver it was before everyone had a 'pooter at home or work. Z80 assembly or Microchip PICASM are my 'happy places'.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 18-09-23 at 10:38.
    Level 29
    @retrotecchie 🤣 - at least we were "modern" with direct punch to card. Batch processed overnight then re-punch to correct any errors the next day.
    Also had a departmental PDP-11, with 1inch, 8-character paper tape: happy days 🤓
    Level 92
    @geoffers

I still have some DEC PDP hardware in a shed. The US military were still using it (and I was still maintaining it) only fifteen years ago!

Level 5
    @geoffers Have you had a statement yet. Have been billed this month, for a very high amount. I think they have billed me for August/September on there summary. It's getting very confusing, and still no monthly breakdown since l moved over. Did you get yours sorted. Will have to ring them again this morning, to try and resolve this, but I don't have much hope.
    Level 5
    @geoffers Have you had a statement yet. Have been billed this month, for a very high amount. I think they have billed me for August/September on there summary. It's getting very confusing, and still no monthly breakdown since l moved over. Did you get yours sorted. Will have to ring them again this morning, to try and resolve this, but I don't have much hope.
    Level 29
    @snellijw coincidentally I have just requested a statement breakdown so hopefully this is imminent - I'll keep you posted 👍

They have just produced my second monthly statement since joining next drive but unfortunately this is still for the gas only with no electricity statement: hence my request

As I mentioned in my earlier post, they have increased my direct debit based on electrical consumption which seemed to be about the correct amount compared to my calculations, so hopefully their internal systems are actually on the right page
    Last edited by geoffers; 27-09-23 at 06:20.