meter readings and unfinished business

Level 1
    Why - when EON installs a smart meter and changes your previous meter, do they not ask you to verify the reading? I now realise that the previous meter has disappeared - so there is no way I can check the reading - having received a bill for £745 yesterday I began to get a bit worried - apparently a reading of 2000 extra units was submitted by the technician (8350 instead of 6350) - fortunately I can see that the reading has been written down - I am however shocked at this incompetence and wonder will EON apologise / compensate me for the error - in particular because the installation of the smart meter has only been half done - as they could not provide me with a reader and could only do electricity and not gas .... not feeling very impressed but relieved that my bill is about 700 less than I have been led to believe ...
  • 3 Replies

Level 91
    @CLil

I agree it would be a good idea to have the customer verify the reading when an old meter is removed. It sounds like the error has already been corrected (that’s not completely clear from your post) but if not then I would take a photo of the reading, which from memory will be on a sticker next to your new meter, and send it to customer service.

Regarding an apology and compensation, you could send a complaint to unhappy@eonnext.com detailing your experience. Simple mistakes do happen and if it was resolved with a quick phone call then I personally wouldn’t be expecting much in the way of compensation but no harm in trying.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    @JoeSoap thank you very much for the advice - I managed to contact EON today and sent a photo of the meter reading - the person I spoke to was very helpful - will see what the outcome is - it would have been very difficult for someone who was not computer literate to handle such a problem - I hope it will be resolved without any issue - my main point was that when having a smart meter installed, EON should advise customers that the previous readings will disappear and it should be policy that customers verify the reading - to avoid any such errors in future (2000 kw of electricity makes a big difference financially these days)

thank you,

Catherine Lillis
    Level 91
    @CLil

You’re welcome. The old meter may be able to be located and interrogated to get the actual reading. If not, your meter reading history should show the blatant error.

Did you find out why the gas meter wasn’t changed and if/when they’re going to do it?

Please keep us informed as to any progress with getting your bill adjusted and getting a new gas meter.

Finally, be aware that it can take several weeks for smart meters to become fully functional so keep an eye on your account to see if smart readings are being taken. If not, you can still submit manual readings until everything starts to work as it should.

Good luck with it all 🤞