Start your #PowerSwitch ⚡

Community Team

Start your #PowerSwitch ⚡

Creating a better tomorrow 🌍💙

Hi to our little world that is our wonderful community 👋

If you're new here, welcome, or if you've been floating around on the Community for a while, you've perhaps been wondering how you can save energy and lower your energy consumption for you and our planet. Whilst knowledge of climate action is important, it isn't everything. We need to have the desire and determination to make positive changes and have the passion and drive to act upon it.

Knowledge is power, but enthusiasm pulls the switch - Ivern Ball

Whilst it's good news the price cap is going down in October, that doesn't mean our energy usage needs to start creeping back up.

❔ Did you know ❔
    More than 20% of CO2 emissions in the UK come from home energy.

With that in mind, I've got some tips for you that I wanted to share.

You can start your own #PowerSwitch
    Saving energy in your home can reduce your bills and your carbon footprint, which in itself is already pretty fantastic! But we know our Community folk always go that little bit extra when it comes to energy saving, and together we can help people get even more out of their energy with a few small #PowerSwitches .

Keep your style looking fresh 👠
    Tumble dryers are one of the most power-hungry appliances in your home 🤯
    Try making use of your washing line or an indoor airer and you could save up to £60 a year!

(Bonus tip - air drying helps protect your clothes, so they fit better and last longer.)

A lighter home for a brighter day 🌞
    You could save up to £25 a year by simply flipping that light switch off when you leave a room. Better yet, make the most of the sunshine and leave them switched off during the day.

(Bonus tip - natural light is associated with better mental and physical wellbeing. It can also help you catch some extra 💤's)

Find ways to improve your energy efficiency with energy generation.
    Home energy solutions like solar panels or air source heat pumps could shrink your carbon footprint and significantly reduce your energy bills.

One thing I do to save energy in my home, is use my air fryer to cook a boiled egg! Here me out.... just pop in as many eggs as you like into your basket and cook at 180 degs for at least 12 minutes and low and behold, not only are you getting the extra golden goodness but you're also being more efficient with energy... and you don't have to wash up the egg pan residue. You're welcome! #EmsEggTips

That's what is so lovely about being part of our community, it's finding ways of helping one another with ways we can save energy. 😍

I want to hear your thoughts and the little #PowerSwitches you've made in your home, that help you to save energy day-to-day? Let's get talking 🗣
    Last edited by Han_EONNext; 02-11-23 at 13:09.
    Knowledge is power, community is strength, and positive attitude is everything 💜
  • 62 Replies

Level 91
    @EmmaN_EONNext

Pleased to report that my energy saving exploits over the last 12 months resulted in our household consuming something like 25% less electricity and 20% less gas than in the previous 12 months, resulting in savings of over £1000 compared to what I would have spent with no changes.

Replaced pretty much all incandescent light bulbs with LEDs. Washing clothes at lower temperatures (if it isn’t dirty, wash at thirty) and making sure there was a decent load instead of a couple of bits. Air drying clothes as much as possible instead of tumble drying just for convenience. Any baths taken were shallower and a bit cooler. Hot water timed instead of on all day. Instead of being warm as toast all the time the CH was switched on less and at lower thermostat setting (by about 2 degrees). Dish washer only on when really full and not every day out of habit. Shutting down the PC that used to stay on pretty much 24/7.

Lots of little things that all added up to keep the bills down 👍
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 92
    @EmmaN_EONNext

Ouch! 12 minutes in my air fryer which consumes 1.7kW is actually more energy intensive than boiling 500 ml of water in the kettle (2kW for 30 seconds) then putting that in a pan and boiling the eggs on the hob (1.2kW for five minutes).

1.7kW for 12 minutes is 0.34kWh.

2kW for 30 seconds, plus 1.2kW for 5 minutes is 0.12kWh.

Thus your method uses almost three times the energy! I'll pass on that tip, thank you.

Level 56
    @EmmaN_EONNext

Following on from @JoeSoap's post I too am pleased to report that my energy saving exploits over the last 12 months resulted in our household consuming something like 10% less electricity (EAC now 2350kWh) and 26% less gas (EAC now 5850kWh) than in the previous 12 months but I really don't think there is more more to be had in more savings as reducing usage has been ongoing really for 2 years now.

• Washing is done to coincide with dry days for the outside lines. Tumble dryer (Heat Pump variety) has been used very sparingly since April.
    • Batch cooking in oven whenever used (3 loaves at a time) otherwise hardly used.
    • Electric pressure cooker used instead of oven whenever possible.
    • Slow cooker used instead of oven as appropriate.
    • Air fryer used instead of oven if appropriate.
    • CH thermostat turned to a maximum 18C in winter.
    • Heated throw when watching TV if required and electric underblanket used before bedtime.
    • Dessicant dehumidifier hardly ever used last winter as used too much juice.
    • If dehumidifying required now only use a refridgerant based unit that uses 165kW per hour (rather than the dessicant 660kW per hour) but more natural ventilation used whenever possible to minimize any mechanical dehumidifying.
    • HW temperature on gas combi boiler set at 50C since Spring although this may go up in Winter
    • CH rads balanced myself last winter.
    • CH flow rate set at 50C ATM but may increase that during Winter as per the HW
    • Plugs turned off if any appliance not in use.
    • LED bulbs throughout.
    Last edited by Mailman; 30-08-23 at 08:59.
    Community Team
    @retrotecchie how many eggs can you fit in a pan though 🤔 I reckon I could fit at least 12 in my airfryer and do enough eggs for the week in one go which would save me time and for those that have metered water (we have our water and sewerage in with our council tax in Scotland so don't have to worry) it saves on water too 😉
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie how many eggs can you fit in a pan though 🤔 I reckon I could fit at least 12 in my airfryer and do enough eggs for the week in one go which would save me time and for those that have metered water (we have our water and sewerage in with our council tax in Scotland so don't have to worry) it saves on water too 😉

Also, I would think the air fryer is thermostatically controlled so the heating element is probably only switched on for a proportion of the 12 minutes. Only one of those devices that @meldrewreborn recommends would give a definitive consumption over the duration of the cooking.

I really must get with the air fryer and slow cooker thing. Three or four times a week we have an oven-cooked dish which we slow cook for about four hours at around 100c. We keep saying we must get a slow cooker but never get around to it.
    Community Team
    @JoeSoap not even thinking of it from an energy perspective, a slow cooker is a fantastic gadget especially when it comes to winter just bung it all in and leave it be! Slow cooker rice pudding is the best 🤤
    Level 77
    Also, I would think the air fryer is thermostatically controlled so the heating element is probably only switched on for a proportion of the 12 minutes. Only one of those devices that @meldrewreborn recommends would give a definitive consumption over the duration of the cooking.

I really must get with the air fryer and slow cooker thing. Three or four times a week we have an oven-cooked dish which we slow cook for about four hours at around 100c. We keep saying we must get a slow cooker but never get around to it.

Spot on the airfryer is thermostatically controlled. Not sure about the boiled egg trick. Very fussy about my eggs.

Absolute must is a slow cooker, particularly as you are using your oven to do the same job. You'll never look back. Autumn starts Friday and it's the time the slow cooker comes into it's own. 🎅
    Level 91
    @DebF_EONNext @WizzyWigg

You’ve talked me into it. I’m going to get on the slow cooker case.

I used to love my mum’s rice pudding. It was cooked in what we called an ashet, a metal pie dish, and we used to squabble over who got the delicious burnt skin on the top. Can a slow cooker do that?
    Level 77
    @DebF_EONNext @WizzyWigg

You’ve talked me into it. I’m going to get on the slow cooker case.

I used to love my mum’s rice pudding. It was cooked in what we called an ashet, a metal pie dish, and we used to squabble over who got the delicious burnt skin on the top. Can a slow cooker do that?
    I wouldn't think so but all you've got to do is get your blow-lamp out of the garage and give it a quick going over just before serving. 😂