Smart Meter - Connectivity Issue

Level 91
    @RJNext

You fully deserve some decent customer service with no charges, especially on account of your unbelievable patience that shines through in all your posts.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 6
    What a nice comment, thanks! 😀

I’m hoping that @Han_EONNext will be along soon to help resolve the conundrum…
    Level 92
    @RJNext

I shall also tag @Anasa_EONNext and @EmmaN_EONNext for you on this thread as they are both on duty today. The more the merrier.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Community Manager
    Good afternoon @RJNext Anasa here 👋 Thank you so much for your patience. I don't have your account details so I'm not able to see exactly what's gone on with your meter.

As @Han_EONNext said it does depend on the status of your meter if we'd replace free of charge and judging by what you've said your meter is working just not in Smart mode.

However if you'd like to pay for this appointment I'd need to go away and check the process for this - it often also depends on availability and if engineers are in your area when it comes to booking meter appointments. but it is an option that we do have and you can pay £235 for this to happen. So Yes we can do this if this is what you'd like to do - however as you said it does seem a shame that you'd need to pay for this but if you're meter is essentially working in classic mode we would not be able to do this free of charge for you'd be deemed as having a working meter

Your best bet would be to give customer services a ring and let them know that you'd like to pay for an appointment to get your existing smart meter replaced, they will then be able to take the payment and get the ball rolling for you.😊
    Last edited by Anasa_EONNext; 12-09-23 at 11:17.
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 6
    Thanks Anasa - appreciate your post. However, I’m not keen to pay upfront to have the meter replaced.

As you state, from EON’s perspective, I currently have a “working” meter. So if I paid for a reinstall and that meter also had the same issue, I would be left in precisely the same situation but now £235 poorer!

I am happy to pay once a smart meter has been installed and confirmed as working to the level required by EON’s own EV tariff (I.e. sending back readings every 30 mins).

Alternatively, and my preferred choice, would be for me to pay (upfront) for a Classic meter to be fitted. Then I can switch to a new provider who I will ask to fit a smart meter, install a charger, and put me on an EV tariff. I’m hoping this triple-deal will improve the chances of being left with a functioning smart meter.

Can you please confirm whether I can either:

1) Pay for a replacement smart meter once it has been confirmed as sending back readings every 30 mins

or

2) Pay for the fitting of a Classic meter (my preferred choice)

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by RJNext; 12-09-23 at 13:48.
    Level 91
    @RJNext

as far as I am aware you can have the smart meter removed and a non smart meter installed. The costs have been quoted earlier in this thread.
    what did the ombudsman say about a meter replacement. I think that very rarely customers have been able to get a non communicating meter replaced, with the ombudsman’s support.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 6
    Just a (hopefully final) update on this thread...

Out of the blue I received an email asking me to call to make an appointment for a meter person to visit and take a look at the meter.

When they arrived, they confirmed the meter was working ok but comms wasn't working (as we already knew).

The chap replaced the meter with a revised one (see picture) and this has established communication and is working in a smart way. Huzzah!

Name:  meter.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  37.1 KB