EonNext App - Can't Download Statement (Android)

Level 29
    @WizzyWigg @retrotecchie

Yep: there's a system>privacy>permission manager on the phone which lists all the permission types

However the only ones that the EonNext app appear in are camera; location and notifications, these are currently set to "not allowed" which is what I selected, but they do have a toggle to allow or not.

In the old phone the storage app permission is actually a toggle in the Android permissions (which has 3 toggles for Camera, Location & Storage)

But I know that Google have become very restrictive with storage permissions with the latest version of its OS...

So the Storage permission on my V13 phone only has a couple apps listed, with a sub-section called "all file access" which restricts access to very specific apps such as file-managers and other storage orientated apps.

I sure this must be the restriction causing my issue - I've had experience with this with another app where the new security regulations meant if you only have the phone's internal onboard memory, they could only write to their own internal folders in their app's specific /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/...{app-folders}...

I have a feeling that if you do have an SD card mounted "externally" there isn't a problem with writing to this, but think that when I installed my SD card I chose the option to use it to extend the internal-memory, so as far as my phone is concerned it's all internal memory, not a separate "external" SD card.

I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge of Android app-development etc will be able to throw more light on this
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

My app allows camera and location. Why, I have no clue!

I do know that I need Location Services enabled for my Victron solar app to work otherwise I can't access my system via Bluetooth. Strangely, I don't need Location to operate my LEGO trains!
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 81
    @WizzyWigg

My app allows camera and location. Why, I have no clue!

I do know that I need Location Services enabled for my Victron solar app to work otherwise I can't access my system via Bluetooth. Strangely, I don't need Location to operate my LEGO trains!
    Yep my permissions are the same except for some unknown reason notifications are allowed as well. Don't mention LEGO I've got the grandkids for the next 4 weeks. 👽
    Level 81
    @WizzyWigg @retrotecchie

Yep: there's a system>privacy>permission manager on the phone which lists all the permission types

However the only ones that the EonNext app appear in are camera; location and notifications, these are currently set to "not allowed" which is what I selected, but they do have a toggle to allow or not.

In the old phone the storage app permission is actually a toggle in the Android permissions (which has 3 toggles for Camera, Location & Storage)

But I know that Google have become very restrictive with storage permissions with the latest version of its OS...

So the Storage permission on my V13 phone only has a couple apps listed, with a sub-section called "all file access" which restricts access to very specific apps such as file-managers and other storage orientated apps.

I sure this must be the restriction causing my issue - I've had experience with this with another app where the new security regulations meant if you only have the phone's internal onboard memory, they could only write to their own internal folders in their app's specific /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/...{app-folders}...

I have a feeling that if you do have an SD card mounted "externally" there isn't a problem with writing to this, but think that when I installed my SD card I chose the option to use it to extend the internal-memory, so as far as my phone is concerned it's all internal memory, not a separate "external" SD card.

I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge of Android app-development etc will be able to throw more light on this
    Just wondering because you've restricted the notification, camera and location permission that could be the reason the app won't give you the ability to save. Both @retrotecchie and I have those permissions allowed.
    Level 29
    @WizzyWigg @retrotecchie

Nope, 'fraid not... good try 😂

I'm fairly certain that it's the restriction of writing to the SD card if it's mounted as extended-internal memory...

Trouble is it's so long ago that I was researching these issues for the other app, that my own internal memory is having problems accessing the data 😁

Aha - I've just found the explanation for this when the Google v.11 and upwards security was enforced

Starting with Android 11, drastic changes have been made by Google regarding how applications can access data stored outside of the application specific folders: except for file managers (and a few other specific cases), applications are only able to access media files from the shared storage spaces (internal device and removable SD card). It means that all your file-based maps and placemarks saved outside of the application specific folders are no more accessible
    Level 81
    @geoffers

Well done and thank you. I've certainly learnt something this evening. 👍 Brilliant. 👴
    Level 29
    @WizzyWigg

Yes - this is something I've experienced too, I returned a device which wouldn't connect, but then discovered the issue was lack of Location Services

It turns out that it didn't use a conventional direct Bluetooth connection, but a newer technology which many low-powered devices now use called Bluetooth-Low-Energy (BLE). One of the mandatory requirements of the BLE specification is that the host device needs to have Location enabled.

I'm forever seeing posts with people having connection problems, which I'm sure in most cases are probably due to this.
    Level 92
    @geoffers

Odd, because LEGO PoweredUp! uses BLE and doesn't need Location enabled. Victron Connect, on the other hand, wont work without it.
    Level 29
    @retrotecchie

<GeekMode> :-) just did a bit of research and found this, which possibly explains it...

https://source.android.com/docs/core...ning%20results

Turning off location services will turn off Bluetooth scanning.
    From Android 12, apps that declare neverForLocation can gain Bluetooth scanning results even when location services are off.
    Last edited by geoffers; 03-08-23 at 07:25.
    Level 92
    @geoffers

Makes sense. The Victron app actually scans for devices in range every time it launches, and then when you access them, they physically pair using a six digit PIN number. Although LEGO PoweredUp! uses BLE, it never scans but instead requires explicit paring which remains persistent. This of course makes complete sense as the system works with simple Bluetooth hand controllers as well as the app.

I'm not sure why Bluetooth scanning needs a physical location as the range is about 20 feet and I only have one fixed device I'm scanning for! I won't be picking up anything I shouldn't as my nearest neighbour is at least 100 metres away from me and I know they don't have any Victron products...or LEGO trains for that matter!
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 03-08-23 at 10:50.