Colder July Than Last Year Showing In Gas Consumption

View Tag Cloud
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

Yep. High consumers. But hey, things are much better overall than they were before the big energy economy drive that I started last August 👍
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 57
    It should definitely reduce the leccy but we eat a lot of rice these days with the culinary delight that will now be in the slow cooker instead of the electric oven. To exacerbate things, I have had to reduce my salt intake so I have a pan of unsalted rice for me and another of salted rice for the others. Same with veg. So, since end of June, more cooking of rice and veg on the gas hob and double the amount of pans on the go.

Hence, the penny has dropped and I now have a good idea why my gas consumption has gone up over the last two months 🤓

Problem solved … I think 🤔

No gas used in cooking so this might explain at least some of the difference between our figures.
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

I eat rice too often and I become a net producer of gas!

Bens or Morrisons own 'nuke in the bag' rice for me. One minute in the microwave, one minute to stand and steam, job done.

I checked my dipstick today and estimate I've used about 30 litres of heating oil since April. That's on-demand hot water for the kitchen sink two or three times a day, plus a couple of hour-long bursts of heating when it's damp and windy out. 315kWh in five months. Just under 5p per kwh and no standing charges.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    No gas used in cooking so this might explain at least some of the difference between our figures.

That and the fact you have a combi boiler and I have a system boiler.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

I eat rice too often and I become a net producer of gas!

Bens or Morrisons own 'nuke in the bag' rice for me. One minute in the microwave, one minute to stand and steam, job done.

I checked my dipstick today and estimate I've used about 30 litres of heating oil since April. That's on-demand hot water for the kitchen sink two or three times a day, plus a couple of hour-long bursts of heating when it's damp and windy out. 315kWh in five months. Just under 5p per kwh and no standing charges.

We use the nuke in the bag savoury rice as an accompaniment in salads but for something like a curry or sweet and sour for three we would need many pouches of the plain stuff per meal. I can eat 150g of dried rice (cooked of course 😉) in one go no problem and the others about 100g between them. That’s a lot of rice about three or four times a week.

I’m envious of you guys’ energy bills. I reckon I pay more than you all put together 😩
    Level 91
    One thing that I could do with right now is up to date info in my Bright app. My gas consumption has risen in July and August and I have no consumption info in my app since 7 July. Set to half-hourly, I could have pinpointed where the extra consumption is happening. If it’s during the boiler firing times then my theory about the service engineer tweaking something may be right. If it’s during cooking time then my (more probable) theory would be proved.

Hopefully when/if I get my meters communicating, all the historical data will populate the app 🤞
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

The meters store it for thirteen months. 🤞 they just repair the fault or swap the hub. If they swap the meters themselves, bye bye data.
    Level 81
    It should definitely reduce the leccy but we eat a lot of rice these days with the culinary delight that will now be in the slow cooker instead of the electric oven. To exacerbate things, I have had to reduce my salt intake so I have a pan of unsalted rice for me and another of salted rice for the others. Same with veg. So, since end of June, more cooking of rice and veg on the gas hob and double the amount of pans on the go.

Hence, the penny has dropped and I now have a good idea why my gas consumption has gone up over the last two months 🤓

Problem solved … I think 🤔
    We must be strange over here never put salt in rice, use lots of herbs, spices, and other condiments, all dependant on what we are having as the main dish. Very little additional salt ever used. Dear old Doc's instruction, bless. 😂
    Level 91
    We must be strange over here never put salt in rice, use lots of herbs, spices, and other condiments, all dependant on what we are having as the main dish. Very little additional salt ever used. Dear old Doc's instruction, bless. 😂

I never would add salt when cooking for myself but FloSoap and SoapSud (thanks @retrotecchie for that one😂) like stuff salted. I used to go along with it but was told by the doc, forcibly, to cut down. Hence all the pans now on the hob at one time. We also now use the hob like that practically every day, whereas before the end of June the hob was only used about half as much as that (due to other dietary reasons). I really think now that this is the reason my gas consumption is markedly higher over the last two months. I just didn’t think it would be a noticeable difference, and probably wouldn’t be in winter when the gas CH is on a lot and I’m using over 2000kWh a month in any case. Another 100kKh would hardly be noticeable, but in summer it constitutes a 20% increase.

Yep… I think I’ve sussed it at last 😁