Colder July Than Last Year Showing In Gas Consumption

View Tag Cloud
    Level 81
    @JoeSoap
    .....................I know that smart thermostats are available but I doubt that any savings from use would justify the initial outlay in cash terms.
    If there are any savings then I would say they are debatable.

Pros and Cons
    @retrotecchie mentioned the security issues in the thread on Smart plugs. https://community.eonnext.com/thread...ll=1#post41566
    Another app to contend with.
    If your Wi-Fi router crashes whilst away............! 🤔
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

my thermostat has six time settings per day each with a temperature target. Overnight it’s 17 (effectively off but on a very cold night it might come on), then morning it’s 19, lunchtime it’s 20, afternoon it’s 19 again , evening it’s 20. I only use 5 of the six time periods. In addition I have a flue-less gas fire which can pump out 1 or 2 kW into the lounge if needed, as I find the wind direction affects our perception of comfort. Usually the fire isn’t needed, and often just the pilot is enough to up the lounge temperature for us. We don’t alter the thermostat unless we go out, and then a manual override can lock it at a lower temperature until we return, when removing the lock reverts everything to the normal programming.
    rooms upstairs have thermostatic valves to minimise the heat in those rooms. Beds have high tog duvets. Jumpers and/or fleeces are worn to keep us warm, which can be shed in the unlikely event we get too hot.
    As a result most of our heating is automated and comfort level adjust throughout the day. Tweaking the thermostat is no longer necessary, and we can live with the charges that result. I’m content that we do enough to control our expenditures.

I know that smart thermostats are available but I doubt that any savings from use would justify the initial outlay in cash terms.

We have TRVs on all but two radiators (hall and landing) which act as a by-pass and gives the water somewhere to go if all TRVs switch off at the same time. We have but one bog-standard thermostat and it's in the entrance hall which we all pass through regularly. CH is 'on all day' and we regulate it anywhere from off to 21 degrees by the stat. This time of year normally ushers in thermostat wars where one family member clicks it up as they walk past and the other clicks it down as they walk past. I rarely touch it and just see to the bills 😂. For some reason there is a bit more harmony this year and 19-20 seems to suit all for most of the day whilst the house is occupied... but winter has not yet begun.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

I keep my stat at 16C and don't bother with the boiler timer. I just use the 1 hour boost if the front room drops below 13C.

However, I have a differential thermostat which also monitors the outdoor temperature so the colder it is outdoors, the less heat I need indoors to keep the house 2-3C warmer than outside.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

I guess it’s difficult to compare one house’s thermostat to another when it comes to the actual temperature in the house. I’ve no idea how accurate mine is and keep seeing thermometers for sale at £1.50 in Tesco. Maybe I’ll get one next time I’m in. The siting of the stat is important of course and in my house one occupant seems to feel cold when another is warm, hence the thermostat wars 😂
    Level 81
    @retrotecchie

I guess it’s difficult to compare one house’s thermostat to another when it comes to the actual temperature in the house. I’ve no idea how accurate mine is and keep seeing thermometers for sale at £1.50 in Tesco. Maybe I’ll get one next time I’m in. The siting of the stat is important of course and in my house one occupant seems to feel cold when another is warm, hence the thermostat wars 😂
    Got one of these 3 years ago from eBay. It works a treat and certainly prevents any wars. Still available but has gone up in price to a whopping £6, there abouts.
    Name:  s-l1600(1).jpg
Views: 166
Size:  85.3 KB
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

We have a conventional thermometer next to the heating thermostat as some people are old school and still work in Fahrenheit. And miles per gallon. Do we all have a split personality?

did you hear about the man contesting a separation by claiming he was schizophrenic? The wife said she’d divorce both of them!
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 81
    @WizzyWigg

We have a conventional thermometer next to the heating thermostat as some people are old school and still work in Fahrenheit. And miles per gallon. Do we all have a split personality?

did you hear about the man contesting a separation by claiming he was schizophrenic? The wife said she’d divorce both of them!
    😂😂😂😂 If you add feet and inches into the equation then I'll reckon you'll make an ideal candidate for the U S of A. At least that's what me and the other me thinks. 👴👴
    Level 91
    Got one of these 3 years ago from eBay. It works a treat and certainly prevents any wars. Still available but has gone up in price to a whopping £6, there abouts.
    Name:  s-l1600(1).jpg
Views: 166
Size:  85.3 KB

Looks ideal 👍 Mind you, with the current Tesco offer on all the handy little things of Buy 2 for £2, I could get a thermometer and a pack of three nail brushes or some lens wipes or sink plugs or cocktail sticks or a jar opener for a third of the price 🤔. I love that section of handy stuff, particularly with the current offer 😂

I still like the look of your one though 👍
    Level 81
    @JoeSoap One should never be without Cocktail sticks. Extremely useful if a screw hole (particularly in wood) has become slightly oversized. A cocktail stick and a squirt of glue, jobs a gooden.
    My tip of the day 😂. 🖖
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

I have an internal external thermometer. Originally intended for monitoring a medical drugs fridge, I use it to measure indoor and outdoor temperatures. It has logs for max and min and alarm outputs for out of range errors. Cost about £30 but that includes recalibration every two years. According to that, my differential stat is fairly accurate.