Colder July Than Last Year Showing In Gas Consumption

View Tag Cloud
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

You can be too granular. I take regular readings as often as I can just for my own graphs, but I track my usage 'trends' on a per week or per month basis based on previous years. I'm also thinking of adding an extra column to my spreadsheet to track outdoor temperatures too, so I can see if spikes tally with particular weather conditions.

This summer has been rather wet so I've used a little less electricity in summer than I usually do as I haven't spent so much time out in the shed or garden playing with power tools!
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 84
    @WizzyWigg

You can be too granular. I take regular readings as often as I can just for my own graphs, but I track my usage 'trends' on a per week or per month basis based on previous years. I'm also thinking of adding an extra column to my spreadsheet to track outdoor temperatures too, so I can see if spikes tally with particular weather conditions.

This summer has been rather wet so I've used a little less electricity in summer than I usually do as I haven't spent so much time out in the shed or garden playing with power tools!
    Wow, a Carol Kirkwood and Outdoor Temperature column into a spreadsheet. Brilliant idea.
    Level 91
    Unless one also records what activities were underway (both now and in the comparative period) this can be a pointless task. Did the kids/grandkids come over, did you go away on a hill climbing break, did you go on holiday, are baths fuller or showers longer or shorter, was the still running full blast at that time? Even an extensive spring clean with a 2,000W vacuum will make a difference .I can certainly tell in retrospect when we've been away, as the credit card bill is higher, even if the gas/electricity consumption is down.

Remember we can't change the past, but we can learn lessons for the future.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    Positive side electric usage still below last year by 3.38%.
    Not so good we've had to put heating on a bit more, I think my old blood is getting thinner. 👴.

Same trend as me. There were many times last winter where we felt a bit cold but resisted the temptation to turn up the heat. Now we give the thermostat a click. We're never too hot, but we're certainly less cold 🙂
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

As I don’t have a smart meter, I can’t see immediately my daily consumption - I’d have to work it out. But with so many variables to affect the figure, with both internal factors (more appliances used) and the external temperatures at play, with only the former being influenced by household members, I really think that a daily tally means very little in the overall scheme of things. But it’s a free country and if it helps you and others to control consumption then all power to your elbow.
    what is certainly clear is that cutting out needless energy consumption is certainly worthwhile!

You are correct of course. The IHD is no more than a handy little tool, but an interesting one none the less. I'm the only one in the house that ever catches sight of meter readings and bills and scribbles on my spreadsheets, whereas we all see the upward trend of the number of pounds displayed on the little device in the utility room.

I can't quantify any savings it helps to deliver but but I hear a lot of ''Blimeys'' now that the warm days of £5 showing have gradually disappeared and I get asked if it's ok to do this or that and given a reason why extra energy might need to be consumed. I'll miss the thing once it stops working, as it probably will.

I like to post my little observations on here either to chuck in something to talk about or to give comfort to those that thought they were spending loads on energy until they see what I spend 😂
    Level 84
    Same trend as me. There were many times last winter where we felt a bit cold but resisted the temptation to turn up the heat. Now we give the thermostat a click. We're never too hot, but we're certainly less cold 🙂
    Thermostat tweaking is not a bad thing. For us it's a tad down (or Regulo 0 if going out), when running around during the day, and a tad up for the evening. Comfortable. 😉 I've gone beyond resistance.
    Level 84
    .................Remember we can't change the past, but we can learn lessons for the future.
    Never has a truer word been spoken. Every day is a school day.

Level 91
    ... and a tad up for the evening. Comfortable. 😉 I've gone beyond resistance.

Yep. Now that the doctor is off my back I tweak it up just before six and retire to the kitchen where I perch myself on a stool and have a glass of Malbec 🍷 and a packet of crisps... a quiz with 😍 Flo is optional but welcome 😁
    Level 84
    Yep. Now that the doctor is off my back I tweak it up just before six and retire to the kitchen where I perch myself on a stool and have a glass of Malbec 🍷 and a packet of crisps... a quiz with 😍 Flo is optional but welcome 😁
    Now that sounds very civilised. 🌞. I'll raise you a glass of 'Dandelion and Burdock'. 🥂. I'm a teetotaler. 😉👴
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

my thermostat has six time settings per day each with a temperature target. Overnight it’s 17 (effectively off but on a very cold night it might come on), then morning it’s 19, lunchtime it’s 20, afternoon it’s 19 again , evening it’s 20. I only use 5 of the six time periods. In addition I have a flue-less gas fire which can pump out 1 or 2 kW into the lounge if needed, as I find the wind direction affects our perception of comfort. Usually the fire isn’t needed, and often just the pilot is enough to up the lounge temperature for us. We don’t alter the thermostat unless we go out, and then a manual override can lock it at a lower temperature until we return, when removing the lock reverts everything to the normal programming.
    rooms upstairs have thermostatic valves to minimise the heat in those rooms. Beds have high tog duvets. Jumpers and/or fleeces are worn to keep us warm, which can be shed in the unlikely event we get too hot.
    As a result most of our heating is automated and comfort level adjust throughout the day. Tweaking the thermostat is no longer necessary, and we can live with the charges that result. I’m content that we do enough to control our expenditures.

I know that smart thermostats are available but I doubt that any savings from use would justify the initial outlay in cash terms.