IHD Tariff Update Request More Troublesome Than Normal

View Tag Cloud
    Level 82
    Morning @JoeSoap Have you seen the update for Bright? You can add your own tariffs?!!! 🤔 Admittedly not sure why I would want to. 😂 Not played with it. 👴
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

Finally catching up with a bog-standard spreadsheet then? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 82
    @WizzyWigg

Finally catching up with a bog-standard spreadsheet then? 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Looks to me that way. 😂. Reading through the update it looks like it can't handle certain suppliers weird (to me) tariffs. Hence you have to enter them yourself. Long live the spreadsheet. 😂
    Level 91
    Morning @JoeSoap Have you seen the update for Bright? You can add your own tariffs?!!! 🤔 Admittedly not sure why I would want to. 😂 Not played with it. 👴

Good Morning 🌞

Thanks for the heads up. Just had a look but can't see an update anywhere. I only ever look at consumption data in kWh on Bright anyway to be honest. I do like the cost in £££ to be permanently on display on the IHD though in order to focus family attention on the reality of consuming energy 😂.

When I looked in Settings I saw that under Consent & Meter Management it wanted me to update my consent for them to take half-hourly readings for another year. When I looked further it seems my consent was going to run out imminently at the end of March 24 🙄 so I consented for a further year to the end of March 25... phew, that was close 😂.

Under Data Settings I also tapped on Refresh data but that seemed to do nothing.

Right now I'm happy with how things are in Bright. It would be nice to have the correct tariff data showing and the two month gap filled in but I can live with that. All I need to see now is that smart readings get taken automatically on a monthly basis. My normal read date was 6th of every month before comms was lost but that may have changed so I'll give it a month from when they pulled the reads at my request yesterday before I chase anything.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 30
    Looks to me that way. 😂. Reading through the update it looks like it can't handle certain suppliers weird (to me) tariffs. Hence you have to enter them yourself. Long live the spreadsheet. 😂
    Unfortunately Bright app fails too - it gives me the option to delete the incorrect tariff which it's picked up from my meter via the DCC.

Unfortunately, having entered the 2 rates for my Next Drive TOU tariff and submitted that, the progress bar twirled for a few seconds while it saved that then: lo and behold ... "Tariff not found" pops up when you try to display usage costs ☹️
    Level 82
    Unfortunately Bright app fails too - it gives me the option to delete the incorrect tariff which it's picked up from my meter via the DCC.

Unfortunately, having entered the 2 rates for my Next Drive TOU tariff and submitted that, the progress bar twirled for a few seconds while it saved that then: lo and behold ... "Tariff not found" pops up when you try to display usage costs ☹️
    You mean it's not just the Eon app. 😂
    😂. Sorry but as I said Long Live the Spreadsheet. 😂 There really ought to be a health warning with apps or at least a sanity warning. 😵
    Level 30
    You mean it's not just the Eon app. 😂
    😂. Sorry but as I said Long Live the Spreadsheet. 😂 There really ought to be a health warning with apps or at least a sanity warning. 😵
    I think the words "testing" and "quality control" come to mind 😂
    Level 82
    I think the words "testing" and "quality control" come to mind 😂
    What's this an ancient language!!!!! 😂😂😂😂
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

I get the feeling that a lot of app developers just seem to think a 'sandbox' is there purely for the cat.

In an early incarnation of some software I wrote back in the 90s, I'd made a bit of a 'schoolboy error' and committed the fundamental error of not addressing every possible way of exiting a process loop properly. It took three years for the problem to arise, but when it did it was a doozy! Fortunately the fix was a single extra line of code and most of the end users hadn't actually triggered the error. The one that did sent me screenshots and I was in the office very late for a few evenings trying to debug it. The mistake was glaring once I'd spotted it, but fortunately nothing too mission critical.

Every system was bespoke so no two software builds were ever 100% identical but the error was lurking in all of them. Ten seconds on site during routine servicing and problem solved. Mind you, I'm still debugging newer systems and have found even bigger bugs in systems developed by experienced software development teams who really need to relearn the basics! One system installed in 2013 never worked from the day it left the factory despite several week-long site visits by a three man team to try and fix the problem. Once I'd got the maintenance gig, I spotted and fixed the problem in a day back in 2021. One line of code in a configuration file needed tweaking. But the guys who developed the system couldn't find it in eight years trying. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Level 82
    @WizzyWigg

I get the feeling that a lot of app developers just seem to think a 'sandbox' is there purely for the cat.

In an early incarnation of some software I wrote back in the 90s, I'd made a bit of a 'schoolboy error' and committed the fundamental error of not addressing every possible way of exiting a process loop properly. It took three years for the problem to arise, but when it did it was a doozy! Fortunately the fix was a single extra line of code and most of the end users hadn't actually triggered the error. The one that did sent me screenshots and I was in the office very late for a few evenings trying to debug it. The mistake was glaring once I'd spotted it, but fortunately nothing too mission critical.

Every system was bespoke so no two software builds were ever 100% identical but the error was lurking in all of them. Ten seconds on site during routine servicing and problem solved. Mind you, I'm still debugging newer systems and have found even bigger bugs in systems developed by experienced software development teams who really need to relearn the basics! One system installed in 2013 never worked from the day it left the factory despite several week-long site visits by a three man team to try and fix the problem. Once I'd got the maintenance gig, I spotted and fixed the problem in a day back in 2021. One line of code in a configuration file needed tweaking. But the guys who developed the system couldn't find it in eight years trying. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    You are right. In my case I built a sandbox for the grandkids to playing in. 😂
    Purely as a hobbyist many aeons ago I wrote a program in C to ray trace different wavelengths of light through compound optical systems. Sad I know. I got to the final stages one evening, already having spent a few weeks on it. About 11pm my good lady banged on the study door to say she was off to bed. No problem I said 5 more mins I'll be up. Anyway the next morning I saw an amazing sunrise 😂😂. I never had a good sense of time. 😂