£50 bribe to get a smart meter fitted

Level 91
    @gbhxu

Hey, £50 not to be sniffed at. That would take your running total to £800. Add to that you could then use your new meter to do the energy shifting for a few more quid. Happy days 👍
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 13
    I'm cheaper than gbhxu with his £5,000, but not as cheap as Joe Soap at £50. I'll settle for £500.
    Level 92
    @GSimpson

No....sorry. Life is so much simpler with a non-smart meter. More than happy to keep things the way I've been happy with for the last 40 years and not have to go through the pain 🤣🤣🤣🤣. From what I read on here about peoples experiences with smart meters, no amount of persuasion would encourage me.

If it ain't broke....
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    Where do we think the incentive money would come from?

The incentive which might possibly get me on board would be a guarantee that they would work as promised - meter, comms hub, full communication back to supplier and IHD - with correction of faults within one week of their notification.
    As I don’t see that in the near future, I’ll stay as I am.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    Where do we think the incentive money would come from?

The same place as all the money for smart metering has come from. Us punters. For zero appreciable benefit whatsoever.

The incentive which might possibly get me on board would be a guarantee that they would work as promised - meter, comms hub, full communication back to supplier and IHD - with correction of faults within one week of their notification. As I don’t see that in the near future, I’ll stay as I am.

I can't see it happening, full stop.
    Community Manager
    This thread did make me chuckle 🤣 I appreciate that having a smart meter is not for everyone! And when they go wrong it does seem like it can take a while to get things back up and running again so I think a lot of work is needed to put the faith back into having smart meters!

I really do appreciate my smart meter, I wasn't a fan of having one at first but when less and less shops stopped having working machines to top up your meter it got quite worrying! I prefer prepayment meters I like to know what I'm using and not be worried with a big bill or increase in Direct Debit although one day I may consider coming out of my comfort zone.🤔 with the right tariff 😉

To be able to top up online is a blessing for me and my nana when she was alive. I remember when I just had my little one and I use to be able to top up down the road until that machine was broken for weeks on end, the convenient store across the road from work stopped doing it and more and more shops were stopping or had broken machines I panicked that I'd have to travel so far out of my way to top up when I had a little one to collect from nursery and my Nana who wasn't well at the time and I've really made use of the IHD monitor which I never thought I would.

I would have taken the £50 incentive had it been offered at the time!😊
    Last edited by Anasa_EONNext; 30-03-23 at 17:10.
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 12
    I'm happy with my old dial meter.

I personally don't think that a smart meter is of any use to a customer. Installation is purely for the benefit of EonNext
    Community Manager
    @gbhxu 🤔 it can be easier for us when it comes to things like getting meter readings remotely this benefits a lot of customers that can't always do it manually as well so there are pros and cons! Maybe not so much for customers that are happy providing their own reads and paying by Direct Debit.

I know some customers are fantastic at keeping a spreadsheet and working out their own usage and have no need for a smart meter and then other customers that are desperate to have them installed! Will be interesting to see if anyone with really strong opinions on not having a smart meter eventually change their mind and embrace them?👀

You're not alone lots of people do prefer the old set up of their meters as you have noticed!
    Level 77
    I've had a smart meter for some years now. I really wanted one and jumped at the chance when it was offered to me.
    Knowing what I know now, and having the experience, I wouldn't recommend having one installed. Not until the technology, infrastructure and protocols are standardised.
    The future is rosy but not until then.
    My smart meter has been more a dumb/dim meter.
    For the moment there is nothing like the good old spreadsheet!