Charges and Reverse Account Charges

Level 5
    Hello, can anyone advise me what this all means? I pay my dual fuel bill on a monthly direct debit (for the actual amount.) Usually it is mid month for the four weeks previous. Today I got a bill for the half month so to speak and the statement was a list of charges and the reverse account charges (so credits?) with a finall tally to pay. See screenshot.

Why? Why do I seem to be paying out, then getting credited, then paying out again mid cycle? Are they adjusting readings? Is the meter kaput?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  • 70 Replies

Community Manager
    @wevonbr Anasa here 👋 one of the Community Co-oridnators. It's great to have you here! Although I'm sorry to hear that you've had some trouble with understanding your bill. I must admit the reverse charges can get confusing. 🤯

Reverse chargers are when your bill gets estimated and then you provide actual reads, this can happen if you have not provided a read or we've not taken one within 5 days of the end of each month. It can also happen during a tariff change. We always need a reading on tariff change dates. This is a common cause of errors in billing. On the variable tariff, we always need a reading on the date where the tariff goes up or down in price.

We'll be happy to look into this further for you to see what has created these charges.

Do you have a smart meter? Or do you choose to provide your own reads? 🙂
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 5
    @Anasa_EONNext
    Thank you. Yes, we have a Smart Meter, though doesn't the several months extent of your reverse charging (see screenshot in OP) suggest it isn't working? What do you need to know to look into it more?
    Level 5
    Hi, same problem. I had a monthly statement in which I was £4.35DR followed 2 weeks later with another statement containing 11 Reverse Account Charges leaving me £212.93CR. No explanation is given for the CR sums listed and from reading the web stories about E.ON charging for the wrong tariff rate, I'm guessing this is what's happened. (I have a Smart Meter so it's not due to estimates or the meter is broken)

Nevertheless, I have no idea what tariff rate is being used on my account and more importantly I want my money back in my bank account. Customer services 0808 501 5088 has gone AWOL (dead line) and WhatsApp are playing the delaying answering game.

Seriously, this is a mistake for which E.ON should own and pay up or it's simply fraudulent.
    Last edited by Jasmin2000; 30-09-23 at 14:25. Reason: Added
    Level 77
    Hi, same problem. I had a monthly statement in which I was £4.35DR followed 2 weeks later with another statement containing 11 Reverse Account Charges leaving me £212.93CR. No explanation is given for the CR sums listed and from reading the web stories about E.ON charging for the wrong tariff rate, I'm guessing this is what's happened. (I have a Smart Meter so it's not due to estimates or the meter is broken)

Nevertheless, I have no idea what tariff rate is being used on my account and more importantly I want my money back in my bank account. Customer services 0808 501 5088 has gone AWOL (dead line) and WhatsApp are playing the delaying answering game.

Seriously, this is a mistake for which E.ON should own and pay up or it's simply fraudulent.
    Good afternoon. I'm sorry to hear of your problem. This is primarily a customer to customer forum and you are really going to have to contact Customer Services, one way or another. I am though slightly concerned that the number you phoned is in your terms AWOL. It's the emergency number. Phone contact is normally Monday to Friday on 08085015200 . For that reason I shall tag in @Connor_EONNext .
    Community Team
    @WizzyWigg thank you for bringing this to my attention. @Jasmin2000 it is correct that our out of hours number for emergencies is the number 0808 501 5088 - can I ask what time this number was called? I would suggest you call our daytime number of 0808 501 5200 (Mon - Thurs 9-5 and Fri 9-4) or contact us via Whatsapp or social media to discuss this issue
    🌳Together we can work to achieve a more sustainable Future 🌳
    Level 55
    @wevonbr @Jasmin2000

It might be more helpful to see see the section 'your charges in detail' from your last bill if you want any thoughts from the community members as to what might be going on. Just blank out any personal info - supply address, supply number, meter serial number etc. Otherwise, as a another customer of Eon Next, it is rather difficult to state what might be going on. 👍
    Last edited by Mailman; 30-09-23 at 16:16.
    Level 91
    ... Nevertheless, I have no idea what tariff rate is being used on my account and more importantly I want my money back in my bank account...

Your statements will have your tariff charges on there that you can check against what is stated in your online account. Check the latest smart readings look sensible against what your meter actually reads now. You should be able to use your meter readings, tariff info and payments to work out if your account is correctly up-to-date. It's a bit of a faff, but you will have all the info to hand when trying to sort this out with customer service.

A credit balance on monthly fixed direct debit account is quite normal at this time of year going into winter so if you choose to withdraw it your monthly DD may rise to compensate. If you wish to have your credit balance partially or fully refunded then that is your right. You can email the request if you don't want to wait on the phone. There is a guide of how to do that in the link below...

https://community.eonnext.com/thread...ll=1#post23972
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 5
    Hi all, many thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

@WizzyWigg @Connor_EONNext I also called 08085015200 three times between 10 am and 3 pm on Friday 29th and the line was dead. I spoke to someone on WhatsApp and they agreed to send a cheque as they were not allowed to take my bank details over WhatsApp but the promised explanation of what happened has not yet materialised.

@Mailman @JoeSoap under 'your charges in detail' there were three sections summarising Smart meter readings from 1. April to 25th September (there are three sections because the tariff changed in that period).
    The fourth section summarises the 11 Reversed account charges, which reference my bills but how these numbers were calculated is not detailed and I guess E.ON have no intention of explaining further.

Name:  E.ON_1.jpg
Views: 3857
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  E.ON_2.jpg
Views: 3824
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  E.ON_3.jpg
Views: 3805
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  E.ON_4.jpg
Views: 3818
Size:  37.8 KB
    Last edited by Jasmin2000; 30-09-23 at 21:05. Reason: Additions
    Level 77
    @Jasmin2000

Thank you for your update. I'm glad to hear you have been able to contact someone in Customer Services. I'm sure @Connor_EONNext will take on board your difficulty getting through by phone on Friday as well. It was again concerning to hear the line was 'dead'.