Sudden increase at night

Level 1
    Hello
    Has anyone else noticed a sudden increase on their smart meter overnight?

For example, in this past week, there has been 2 occasions where my smart meter increased by £10 and also £20 overnight and I don't understand why as I'm not doing anything different

Anyone else had a similar issue?
  • 5 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Manager
    Best Answer
    Good morning 👋 @McDaddy17 Anasa here one of the Community Co ordinators, its great to have you here, I think it's a great idea to take a few reads over a few days and double check to see what could be using what and if there is an issue we'll be able to look straight into this for you, it might also be a big help for anyone else that might be having a similar experience.

We have some fantastic volunteers on here who are great with billing calculations and even the tech side of smart meters so you won't be on your own and we'll get the bottom of what the cause could be armed with all the information possible 😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 92
    @McDaddy17

Ok, never mind the pounds and pence. Take readings before you go to bed at night of the actual meter readings themselves, in kWh.

In the morning, check the readings again and see what has changed. Figure out if the usage is gas or electricity.

If gas, does your boiler have an 'eco' or 'comfort' setting? If so, turn that off.
    If electric, have you got an electric immersion heater or other electrical heater that is using that energy overnight?

Until you can work out which fuel is being recorded and how, the pounds and pence don't tell us very much at all.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 1
    Good idea, I will do that from tonight for a few nights
    Thank you
    Level 1
    @retrotecchie @Anasa_EONNext

I took your advice and took a reading before bed last night and then when I woke this morning:

Last night:
    Electric was 10235.995
    Gas was 3160.915

This morning:
    Electric was 10236.699
    Gas was 3162.620

For reference, the pounds and pence was saying £1.04 used so far this week last night and then £3.42 used so far this week this morning

Whilst I was at work today, my wife sent me a picture of the smart meter showing £32.43 used so far this week with 85.58kwh used

So I took meter readings when I got in at 4.30pm;

Electric was 10239.554
    Gas was 3165.303

With the meter showing £86.34 used so far this week and 580kwh

So something definitely doesn't seem right to me?
    Level 92
    5 cubic metres of gas is approximately 55kWh or about £5.75 or so
    4kWh of electricity is about £1.40 worth.

With standing charges, you are looking around £8 ish for the period between last night and 4.30pm. A bit high on the gas, maybe, but not bad at all on the electric. That said, a 28kW boiler will use that much gas in two hours if running flat out.

I'd be inclined to email hi@eonnext.com with all your details in the body and 'request smart tariff update' in the subject, as it looks like your IHD doesn't have the tariff information right.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 22-01-23 at 20:10.