Variations on a theme: how long for commissioning

Level 6
    I think we're there now. It has been a foggy journey.

Meters changed on 9 Jan. Today 6 March I got an email (because I asked about something else) saying "We should be retrieving meter readings from Friday [10 March] onwards". But smart readings for 1 Feb and 2 March started showing in the online history yesterday. It's that sort of unexplained discrepancy that I have found frustrating.

Another one: on 1 March I contacted hi @ eon to give them my manual readings, using that route as @JoeSoap kindly suggested. I got a reply from a real person: "Thank you for providing us with those readings. We have now added that to your account." But they don't appear on my history. Not needed now as the smart readings correlate well. But why didn't they get listed?

I did see an extra gas meter history reading dated 1 March against my old meter (meter removed on 6 Jan). The meter reading was "3", no correlation with any reality. I queried it and got told that the meter was read by a data collector. No data collector here, indeed no old meter here, and I don't understand why any data collection would give that result.

So that's about eight weeks from meter changeovers to what looks like a working system. Not too bad. Just that darned fog on the way.

Thanks for your patience in reading what must look like tedious details. I just don't like to see consumers befuddled by what might be rational steps in a process but we don't get told them, nor do we get a progress report.

MicroErgs

Name:  meterblues.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  20.5 KB
    Last edited by MicroErgs; 06-03-23 at 19:15. Reason: typos
    Level 6
    An update to this which may be helpful to others.

Smart meters installed in January and working nicely since commissioning eight weeks later.

I had a feeling that I might have to chase the incentive payment of £50 offered in E-on Next's letter of October 2022. Indeed that payment hadn't arrived by April. I had a further feeling that if I waited a little bit longer to query it, that might be to my advantage. Yes it was to my advantage as the payment was upped to 100 quid because it was more than four weeks late. Paid as a credit to my account a couple of weeks ago and very welcome too.

MicroErgs of Happy Valley
    Community Team
    Hiya @MicroErgs

Thanks for sharing your journey with us this is a really useful thread for what people might expect following a smart install. It should have been explained to you that it can take a while for your data to start polling through. It can be 6-8 weeks (however it's usually quicker) as it has to go through lot's of different channels to communicate between ourselves and the DCC.

I'm pleased that it all got sorted out in the end for you and that you managed to claim £100 bonus too! The £50 incentive has previously been paid out after 3 weeks following install so I'm unsure why you had to wait a bit longer 🤔

How are you finding your smart meter now it's all working tickety boo, do you think it helps you to keep a better track of things?
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 01/05/24 🏖

Level 91
    @MicroErgs

your clear posts have been followed with interest. Your journey will resonate with many I’m sure. A good result in the end.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.