New Smart Meter

Community Manager
    Hi there @SteffiT I'm sorry to hear that this has not been sorted for you yet. Don't worry we'll get to the bottom of it.

I've been looking into this with the team and we will need some further information about your reads, as mentioned in my previous post we will need a photo of your meter showing both reads to make sure there is not an issue with the way the reads have been in put as from what we can see reads entered on 6th and 7th December looked like transposed reads, and compared to the 0 reads which your meter started on would make it look like you have used a lot of energy.

Transposed reads are where the day and the night read has got mixed up, it could also be that the incorrect amount of digits have been entered, this could be from you or the engineer either way we'd need some pictures to investigate for you - please send the information to us here and we'll keep an eye out for this and we can start looking into this for you 😊

You can also pop us the heads up here on the forum and tag is in once this info has been sent and one of the team will pick it up for you or @meldrewreborn can pop us a tag if you need any help alerting us, I'll also check back on this thread next week if we've not heard anything
    Last edited by Anasa_EONNext; 08-12-22 at 14:00.
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 6
    @Anasa_EONNext I only sent one read with the new meter ( on the 7th) and I'm not sure I did it right, it was dark and the instructions for this are not very clear, I just don't understand how we could go from £401 in debit to £13000 in 2 days, surely someone must have thought it was odd?
    Community Manager
    @SteffiT 👋 It really does sound like those reads are the problem, take your time and when you can pop us over some pics and we'll make sure we get the reads the right way around for you and advise you which is the day and which is the night for future, you will need two sets of reads one may say R1 or R2 or Day and Night, you will have to press the button on your meter to get to the next screen, if you are not sure just take a pic of everything you can and we'll pick out what you need.😊

Also when something like this happens and looks really high or really low your billing will automatically be put on hold and there is a flag on the screen for us to flag this up if a customer gets in touch, customers are usually alerted when they don't get their monthly bill or if there is an issue when entering reads or a really random questionable amount such as yourself. There is a little flag on the first bill that was produced to say ' This bill is unusually high' and it has been held so you won't get any crazy amount taken from your account so please don't worry!
    Last edited by Anasa_EONNext; 08-12-22 at 14:16.
    Level 92
    @SteffiT

Had it (the actual billing) been done by a human, it should have indeed been flagged up as odd, and then queried or double checked. Unfortunately, everything is automated and computerised these days and although I would expect their programming to be able to detect obvious glaring errors, this is not always the case.

It was the two entries for £6k or so, both on the same day that made me think something was not right.

I worked as an engineer in a hospital once, and one of my tasks on a Monday was to take electricity meter readings and enter them into the Building Management logs. All it took was one dodgy entry in the log six months prior to me working there to throw the corporate energy budget out by nigh-on half a million pounds. Should have been flagged up at head office as an anomaly but wasn't. When I had a quiet day and was just going through historical data, I spotted the mistake, and corrected it, which put us seriously into credit with the supplier!

Hopefully, this will be easily resolved for you as soon as possible. As the lovely @Anasa_EONNext says, your bill will be on hold until this is squared away for you. Please....breathe. You'll not be charged until it's all corrected.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 08-12-22 at 14:18.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 6
    @Anasa_EONNext all i could get out of the meter is this, then it stopped letting me scroll itName:  DSC_0965[1].JPG
Views: 224
Size:  46.2 KBName:  DSC_0966[1].JPG
Views: 220
Size:  26.3 KBName:  DSC_0967[1].JPG
Views: 240
Size:  24.3 KB
    Level 92
    @SteffiT
    The meter seems to have recorded 211kWh. At 35p per kWh that should give a consumption of.... About £74 or thereabouts, plus your daily standing charges.
    Community Manager
    @SteffiT This is great thank you! I just need to see that second read which should be a R2 what happens when you try and push the button for the next screen? is it only showing you two different screens? you might have to push the button a few times to get to R2 - let us know how you get on? I am finishing my shift at 3 but there rest of the team are on the look out for this and there will be someone until later this evening.

I'm pretty sure @meldrewreborn and @retrotecchie will have calculated your actual usage before we fix the account! They are already half way there! You are in good hands 😊
    Last edited by Anasa_EONNext; 08-12-22 at 14:59.
    Level 92
    @SteffiT

Do you have the app, or online account?

If so, is there a way you could screenshot and post the meter read history and your tariff? If you just have standard electricity, you should not have any R2 readings as R1 and R2 should only apply if you have economy 7. Obviously, redact any personal information like account number or your personal details.

Community Manager
    @retrotecchie Good point! I did check the meter and its definitely a two rate meter and I checked the tariff to make sure that is also a two rate meter tariff just in case as you are right sometimes there can be a mix up with meter exchanges 😀
    Level 92
    @Anasa_EONNext

Nice one. All we need is the missing R2 then and we should hopefully have a bit more of an idea. 👍