How to request a refund Eon Next - A Step-by-Step Guide

Level 1
    So if you dont have a expensive smart phone, just one for taking or making calls, then you are totally stuffed. And Eon just keep making even more money out of you.

Maybe a sticky for none IT wizards and people who do not have a expensive smart phone might be in order.

So why does this company insist on making things difficult to get there OWN money back ??..... of course so they keep your money even longer.
    Last edited by silverfox55; 20-02-23 at 14:15. Reason: addition
    Level 91
    @silverfox55
    If you are unable to submit photos then just state that in your initial correspondence when requesting a refund. Photos are not mandatory but do help.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap
    and give up to date readings.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    Well, have submitted a request for a refund and a reduction in the DD amount. As we will be 3 months in credit this is not an unfair request.

What do I expect..... when they have picked themselves off the floor from laughing so much I will be told to INCREASE my DD and no reund given as Eon want to use curomers money for themselves.

No I have not submitted any photos and my meters have both been read last night.

I have drafted an email to Martin Lewis for further investigation.

Lets just see if the info given in this thread is real or fake.
    Level 91
    @silverfox55

An alternative approach is to go onto payment on receipt of bill with payment by DD. Your prices will remain the same. within 3 months your credit will be back in your hand and you'll never build up a credit again. If you do not need the assurance of a fixed monthly outgoing for your energy this is a viable proposition.

Not all energy suppliers offer this option but E.On next do.

Whatever you do do not pay on receipt of bill by cash /cheques/bank transfer - this costs the average customer £250 extra per annum.

I've read that 56% of customers pay by DD, and about 15% are on prepayment meters. So roughly 30% of customers choose to pay by cash/cheque/bank transfer after receipt of bill and so pay handsomely for that ability. Quite why is beyond me.
    Level 91
    @silverfox55
    Once you have given updated meter readings any credit balance is all yours to claim. When you receive it you are then starting from scratch so your DD will be set IAW your projected annual usage and tariff. Don't forget that the £67pcm EBSS payments are coming to an end so our accounts will all be a bit worse off. There is also a price hike expected in April although if you are on a fixed tariff you may be protected from this. Personally I like a bit of a credit balance as a buffer but each to their own in that respect.

I hope you let us know how you get on with this.
    Level 91
    I've just requested another £500 refund from my account so let's see how things progress.

I think I've finally nailed it as to how to get everything done on one email straight from my iPhone...

1. Take a photo of each meter whilst the current reading is being displayed. I used a torch to make sure the readings would be visible and also ensured the whole meter (including serial number) was visible.

2. Tap on one of the photos and then tap on the 'Forward' icon. This looks like a square with an arrow pointing up from the top. You will now see your photo has a blue tick showing.

3. Now tap on the other photo. Both photos should now be ticked.

4. Tap on the 'Mail' icon. This will open an email draft with both photos attached.

5. Put 'hi@eonnext.com' for the recipient.

6. Put 'Credit Refund Request From Account No. XXXXXXXX' in the Subject box.

7. Tap in the body of the email just above the photos and type your request giving the amount requested and your name and address. State you have attached photos and give the meter readings (just in case).

8. Press Send. This is the circle containing an arrow pointing upwards at the top right hand corner of the draft.

I know this will be obvious to the tech-savvy but as a Luddite I'll be referring to it the next time I request a refund and hopefully it will be even easier again for me.

So, I sent my email and received an acknowledgement in 7 minutes and then another email 3 minutes later informing me my request had been processed and will take up to 10 working days to hit my bank. Ten minutes total from sending my request to having it approved and processed. All good so far 👍

Edit. I have now received my refund. Here is the timeline from start to finish...

Monday 20 March 23... Emailed to request a £500 credit refund. Received an acknowledgement in minutes.

Friday 24 March 23… Refund is already showing as a transaction in my Eon Next account and the £500 has been deducted from my credit balance although it has not yet appeared in my bank.

Tuesday 28 March 23... £500 now in my bank account.

So, the process took six working days from start to finish. I'm happy with that.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 07-04-23 at 07:28. Reason: Clarity