Computer says no

Level 1
    I purchased this property early 2021, my last property smart meter(not Eon) which provided all sorts of useful metrics to my phone.
    Moved gas and electric to eon from previous owners suppliers and request smart meter. Was told at the time they not fitting it in my area but that I had a dumb meter and I should get an update next year and also have the gas meter done.

When eon became eon.next suddenly they could smart readings Last few days I’ve been trying to request a gas smart meter as it will help keep an eye on cost given current energy prices but the eon people just keep saying no. You can only have smart electric but we won’t install a smart gas meter.

My Electric meter is approx 1 meter away from the Gas meter in the same cupboard so don’t think it’s that and both electric, gas are under one account.

Tried to get further reasoning from Eon.next asked them again today what is the actual reason your refusing as ofgem guideline say that unless there is a good reason a smart meter should be installed by supplier.

The reason I’ve been given today is that “if the smart eligible checker say no then we are unable to install a smart meter”

The previous owners also didn’t leave the IHD behind and Eons response if I have to buy another one.
  • 3 Replies

Level 91
    @Boydude

Sorry, I can’t help with the gas meter issue but the post in the link below might help regarding getting a new IHD…
    https://community.eonnext.com/thread...ull=1#post6726
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 45
    Hi @Boydude

I don't understand why they won't install a smart gas meter, I have one myself but to be honest it doesn't do anything for me that I didn't know or do before.

I've kept a simple spreadsheet for years, I just put in the date and m3 and it works out the cost including the standing charge. Once the cold weather comes you would only need to read the meter for a few days to have a good idea of the daily cost when the heating's on.
    Do the same for electric and there really isn't a need for an IHD.
    Level 79
    It can take up to six weeks following a new installation before a gas meter can be installed as well, unless both are done on the same day.

In the interim, the connection can either be too unstable or too clogged up with things like testing and firmware updates. This should never be a barrier to at least booking another appointment though!
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!