FIT/SEG for non-solar generation

Level 92
    Do the FIT/SEG schemes apply to domestic generation using other systems?

Asking as I'm thinking of generating my own power, but solar PV at a domestic scale is pretty pointless. Any solar 'roofspace' is far better used for solar thermal as the cost is less than a third of PV, four times more efficient and pays back in months rather than years.

What I'm looking into is a 15kW wind turbine and 5kW of hydro. Clearly, I'm not going to be able to backfeed this via my current domestic connection as it is only a 60A single phase service via overhead cables to a pole transformer at the end of an 11kV overhead feeder. However, the three phase 11kV transformer is only 40 feet away from the house.

No point in having my supply upgraded if the schemes do not apply to other forms of generation, and no point investing in the systems if I can't export my surplus power.

Most basic question. Does EON.Next even support three phase export? And no smart meters. That is non-negotiable as they do not work in my area as there is no comms network.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
  • 5 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Team
    Best Answer
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys😊

Your questions @retrotecchie have really got my brain thinking!!

Wind and Hydro are indeed eligible for SEG - so perhaps that is something to think about!
    In regards to the export / three phase, I am not entirely sure about E.ON Next supporting a three phase export; but I can most certainly have a ask around for you and find out😊.

This may also be useful for you: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/defau...ublication.pdf
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie
    solar thermal is OK, but only works well in the summer for hot water, and you only need and can use so much. I have 2 panels, but couldn’t actually use any more. I’ve no idea of current prices but mine cost £5000 - I paid only 10% of that though - I’ be very surprised if the cost was less than PV and the fuel saved is gas in my case and oil in yours, both of which are cheaper fuels to save than elelectricity. My panels save me 3,000 kWH of gas, which I really appreciate, but gas is a fraction of the electricity price.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

I'd be saving electricity rather than oil with solar thermal. Oil heats the house and the water for the kitchen sink, is all. Being able to preheat the feed water to an 8kW electric shower and the washing machine would save me a packet.

We don't have a bath as the hovel is too small, The shower is a power hog!
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 10-11-22 at 18:08.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

OK I follow that, but getting your boiler to heat hot water to be stored in a tank would probably cost less and save you dosh all the year round, whereas solar thermal is a summertime boon only and quite expensive to install. Providing you have the space. But you'd need a tank for the solar thermal, wouldn't you?

Most washing machines are cold fill only now - does yours still have hot and cold fill? And don't most showers vary the temperature by adjusting the water flow, so slower flow = hotter water. If so, preheating the water wouldn't save you any energy - it would just let you have hotter showers at greater amounts of flow.

But without knowing your details I'm only speculating based on my life in suburbia - not in rural west Wales!

By the way is your boiler inside or outside the house? A common tactic round here is to put the boiler in the loft. I seem to recall that a boiler gives off about 0.5 of a Kw when its operating, so I've always insisted it stays indoors rather than out. Every little helps - where have i heard that before?
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

The boiler lives outdoors. No room in the hovel for an internal one. If we had the boiler indoors, there wouldn't be any room for the cooker. As it is, the fridge freezer is in the cupboard under the stairs, the wine cooler lives out in the barn and the freezer is in my office.

Our last place had the oil boiler in the upstairs bathroom. Not a great idea. Old Worcester Bosch oil boilers were very noisy and stink a bit!

Given a choice, I'd have a system boiler with a hot water tank, but we have a combi. Such is life. Combi's may be a tad more efficient, but so much more to go wrong.

Prior to the refurb, it was a water otter system. Tank with immersion heater, and gravity feed from a solid fuel stove with back boiler. Unless you invested in a lot of electricity, you needed to shovel coke in the boiler which wasn't so good in peak summer!